• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Water Pump

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing my water pump the weekend. The new water pump is OEM from Jeep and the instructions in the box say use the gasket plus silicon sealant
(not supplied) on both sides. My FSM says install dry. Any opinions on either method and which silicon is best? XJ 2001, I6-4.0, AW4, A/C.

Permatex #2.

You could install the gasket completely dry but you risk ruining it if it falls out of alignment while installing the pump.

You don't have to coat the entire gasket. Just a few dabs here and there on the pump side of the gasket. That will hold the gasket in place while you install the pump.

Just did mine using OEM. Cleaned the surfaces up well and put the gasket on dry. Torqued to spec. No leaks. Dry gaskets go on dry. Adding silicone just creates more places for leaks to form ... Think about it :). Helps to remove the radiator to gain access.

I use gasket tack in a can. I dont know what brand mine is but I could look. I just call NAPA and tell them to send me some.

I hit the pump side put the gasket on the pump and go to work.

Back