• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft too long or just right?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently swapped an 8.25 29spline in to my 96 XJ to replace the crappy Dana 35 it came with. ABS deleted as well of course.

I've found tha the driveshaft for models with the 8.25 is actually 1" shorter than the shaft for models with a Dana 35 due to a longer housing on the 8.25.

27 7/8" and 28 7/8" respectively. The d35 measurement is for 97+ XJs. Mine's made late 96 and aside frome electrical, has all the stuff from pre 97 XJ if it matters.
If they used different 35s pre 97 it's the first I've heard lol.

I've read that on a stock height XJ doing an 8.25 swap, the d35's DS is too long and can cause Tcase and dif damage.

Mine is lifted 3" though.

Since when I lifted it the D35 DS slid out some i.e. less spline engagement on the output,
then swapped in a "longer housing"
would that restore spline engagement to practically stock only, or still cause problems?

Anyone lifted 3" with a similar conversion have a clear answer???
I only have the D35's shaft and I don't want to find out the hard way.

newer 231 TC fwiw.
thanks for any input.

Last edited:
With a lift should be fine. If anything jack up the rear end to full stuff and check the yoke at the t-case.

Back