• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issues at full droop

XJ jay

NAXJA Forum User
I have a long armed equipped xj with shocks ment for 4-6" of lift in the front. I curantly have 4" of lift, at full droop my drag link hits the factory skid when turning to the left an hits the steering stabilizermount bolt when turning to the right. I will probably trim the skid around the steering box to solve the issue when turning to the left but what do I do for the draglink/outer tie rod end hitting the steering stabilizer.

Are you observing this while the jeep is on a ramp/obstacle or is your axle hanging below the Jeep while the chassis(unibody) is on jackstands?

If observation is taking place while on jackstands that this doesn't really replicate the steering geometry you will experience on the trail(Unless you catch air often and steer while in the air). On the trail one side will be fully(or nearly) stuffed, while the other side is drooped out.

The angles and clearances will be completely different.

I observed the steering hitting the steering stabilizer while checking my clearance for my bump stops while articulating on hill, the steering hitting the skid was observed while the wheels were hanging on a hoist.

Get some shocks and limit straps that "fit" your lift.

Do we really think the lift is the issue, i got these shock as I'm going to be running 5-6" lift spring in the near future, and I'm very sure I'll have the same issue when I get my new coils, so then what. Am I saposta get limit straps then, I'm not the fist guy who's running shocks for a 6" lift on this board, does there steering hit there steering stabilizer mount bolt? Your answer did nothing but take up usable tread space.

The front skid can come off or I can trim it, it's not the issue here really. I'm very sure my axle isnt any further then stock, my alignment machine says my wheel base is 101.4 and 101.6 side to side,stock is 101 and some change. Caster is in spec at 7.5 degrees positive

I'm betting you have a radius arm lift (RC, TNT, RE, etc.)

As the axle droops down, you get negative caster (pinion rotates up). This could cause the issue you are having if it's severe enough (8+" of droop or something).

Mine did the same thing when i went from 4.5" to 5.5" of lift. Best thing i did was ditched the skid all together. Those factory skids aren't meant for that much lift.

Holy crap get rid of the skid for starters. I ditched mine when I added sway bar relocation brackets and with a 5.5" lift, I can't see how the engine skid would offer much protection. I used one on an XJ with a 3.5" lift and it seemed to be ok, but always in the way during routine maintenance. They are probably best for stock but I'd be afraid of it intererring with steering components if it is ever whacked hard and bends inward.

Last edited:
Moparmanic, your right I have serious long arms that I can't wait to shake down this weekend and you raise a good point about my caster going more neg as my suspension travels down.
I think for my wheeling trip this weekend I'll ditch it. I really have it for the looks, I'll trim it as nessicary and keep it for only the winter months were I don't wheel all that much to keep the snow and shit outta the engine bay.

Back