• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can 4.5" springs give me 3"?

TruebloodVA

NAXJA Forum User
I've been planning on putting Rusty's 3" springs on my 2001 XJ which currently is rocking some 1.75" spacers. I happen to be on Craigslist and see a guy parting out a 1990 XJ with a lot of mods and a set of 4.5" Rusty's springs. So I'm thinking why not buy these springs for a steal and cut them to get about 3" and save some money right?
If I screw it up I really haven't lost that much (a little over $50 and some time). If I get it right then I've saved a bunch of money.
My big question is will the spring seat correctly if cut, and if anyone else has any reasons not to do this, or advice if I do.

I've been planning on putting Rusty's 3" springs on my 2001 XJ which currently is rocking some 1.75" spacers. I happen to be on Craigslist and see a guy parting out a 1990 XJ with a lot of mods and a set of 4.5" Rusty's springs. So I'm thinking why not buy these springs for a steal and cut them to get about 3" and save some money right?
If I screw it up I really haven't lost that much (a little over $50 and some time). If I get it right then I've saved a bunch of money.
My big question is will the spring seat correctly if cut, and if anyone else has any reasons not to do this, or advice if I do.
Are you only wanting 3" total, or add to the 1.75? Why not try out the 4.5's as they are now and see how you like it?

Are you only wanting 3" total, or add to the 1.75? Why not try out the 4.5's as they are now and see how you like it?

Mayeb he wants the 3 inches so he doesnt have to install a SYE?

You could probably get 3 inches out of it if you took a leaf out if it.

running a cut spring will ride a bit stiff as compared to running a regular 3" spring, why not just add a shackle to the back and a Tcase drop and run 4.5? 4.5 you can run 31's -35's(depense if you want to trim) options!

if u run rustys 4.5 inch springs for a year or so they will be 3 inch springs :)
Not true in all case's My good buddy and me lifted his 2 1/2 years ago with rustys crap and a year later we replaced control arms with JKS added acos and JKS shackle to his Rustys springs (4.5 coils and full leaf packs)Ditched the bogus shocks too .All the while his spring ride better then my RE leafs and my RC coils No Sag in 2 1/2 years and we flog our Junk Often
:greensmok

Last edited:
My rustys springs and leafs were still over 3 inches of lift 5 years later. They make good stuff. Still running some rustys stuff with Claytons long arms.

Sounds like most of you think this is a pretty janky idea. I agree, but has anyone ever tried to cut springs? I've heard that they don't ride the same after being cut, and they don't seat correctly, and they make noise, but I know a lot of people do it on low-riders so it must work OK right? I should probably just wait and spend the extra money.
To answer the questions:
I'm only looking for 3" total, that's why I'm thinking about cutting the springs.
Yes I am worried about the ride height of the used springs. It makes the whole thing even more shady since I don't know.

Dissagree.

How so? I mean thats fine and all. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but when cutting springs they do not sit right, they loose some life due to heat from the cut, the ride is no fun, and they are noisy. I did that when I was younger, tried to take clayton 8'' coils and turn them to about 5.5-6'' coils. Yea, it worked, and I got the height I wanted. But the overall outcome sucked

but I know a lot of people do it on low-riders so it must work OK right?

Though this is true, its a COMPLETELY different application, rendering the two incomparable

Last edited:
Goatman used 8" Skyjacker coils cut down on his Jeep I'm pretty sure, and based on his large experience in off-road racing, building and tuning race rigs, I'm pretty sure he knows pretty well how to build a rig. :)

How so? I mean thats fine and all. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but when cutting springs they do not sit right, they loose some life due to heat from the cut, the ride is no fun, and they are noisy. I did that when I was younger, tried to take clayton 8'' coils and turn them to about 5.5-6'' coils. Yea, it worked, and I got the height I wanted. But the overall outcome sucked

Heat from the cut, huh.

That lil blue spot left over from the cutoff wheel is *really* gonna do some damage. :rolleyes:

Most aftermarket lift springs are too soft and ride like butt as it is.

In my own opinion.

Back