• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ brake pads - right and left specific?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Basic pads/rotors brake job this weekend on my 97 XJ. I noticed the backs on 2 of the new pads were stamped "R". I've never seen or noticed that before. Now I know the pads are mirror images of each other with respect to the tabs/grooves on the ends and the shapes of the lugs (one round, one flat on the sides) . . . when I compared them to the old pads coming off, the new "R" configuration pads matched the old pads coming off my LEFT (passenger) side. Old pads did not have any such letter stamping.

Didn't have any problems with the old pads, so I opted to install the "R" pads on the left as they had been. No issues after a full day of driving. I'm assuming "R" means RIGHT side, despite my thinking better to match to the old pads. What's the deal with this?

I've aways understood the left and right of a vehicle to be as if your sitting behind the steering wheel. So passenger side is the RIGHT side. 93 XJ is side specific with the pads 'grooves' lock on the bottom lip of the spindle.

I typed that wrong. It should've read, ". . . when I compared them to the old pads coming off, the new "R" configuration pads matched the old pads coming off my LEFT (driver) side. Old pads did not have any such letter stamping."

Yes, right and left are referenced as you are sitting in the vehicle.

Silly me I just pull the pads out and put the pads back in that are the same and ignore any stampings that manufacturers put on them. If it fits then it's in the correct side.

Back