• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are my leafs too flat?

Porch951

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my HD Offroad shackle relocators a few weekends ago, and i've been wondering if my springs are too flat.

Current setup is: XJ main, 3x MJ leaves. Gives a great ride. Also using the MJ shackle = ~4" lift. That's right about my target (was going for 4.5").

PA151619.jpg

PA151620.jpg

Whaddya think? For the record i measured and i'm getting about 5" of flex. Don't know if that's decent or horrible.

Looks good to me. I swapped in a stock xj pack (supposed to be upcountry leafs but sagged real bad so I don't think so) and I added another main with the bushing pushed out, chopped and re drilled to "military wrap" the stock pack. So total 5 leafs, maybe a little less arched then those but close, still sags bad with ~400lbs but probobly ok if I actually had rear bumps lol. Both my past packs (double xj pack(7 leafs!) and full s10 bastard) never noticed the sag under load but rode like ass. The stock pack felt like tits but 1" from bottoming out with the dirt bike and carrier ~300lb was not gonna work. Now it rides nice and firm but I may plan to take a smaller leaf out to get some cusion but I'll have to do the springs and suspension up front first to tell cause currently it also rides like ass. Also planning to trailer the bike and heavy camping gear for now on to avoid the ass sag and dumbass bike carrier that i drag on everything getting to camp.

Edit: Also shackle angle looks sweet

Thanks! I guess i'll probably leave it then. I just didn't want to order shocks and then find out my leaf springs are worn out. Better to do them now if i need to!

The flatter the leaf packs, the better you'll flex/droop and ride.....or so I've heard. That looks pretty damn good to me.

That makes sense i guess. I was especially worried that, since it is somewhat flat, i wouldn't have much room for much uptravel without inverting the spring. I guess my real solution is to bumpstop accordingly?

They look good to me. Mine were inverse until I built my bastard pack. Now I'm riding on about 2.25" of lift with a positive arch and a virtually unchanged ride quality.

That makes sense i guess. I was especially worried that, since it is somewhat flat, i wouldn't have much room for much uptravel without inverting the spring. I guess my real solution is to bumpstop accordingly?
Your relocation brackets and mj shackle are what help accomodate uptravel now.

Flat is good! Droop is the way to go. You may wanna do some bumpstop work so you dont invert your springs. i would set up for about 3" uptravel each side according to that pic.

Thanks guys, that's good news!
I don't really have much choice with the leaf spring clamps, they're a part of the MJ leaves (riveted to the leaf). Otherwise i would have built them to allow a little droop. :)

Thanks guys, that's good news!
I don't really have much choice with the leaf spring clamps, they're a part of the MJ leaves (riveted to the leaf). Otherwise i would have built them to allow a little droop. :)

All you need to do is remove the cross bolt on the clamps

I will chime in and agree with your setup. Ideally, a leaf spring should be very nearly flat with the shackle at a 45 degree angle. Looking at the photos, that is exactly what you have. It should be a flexy as it is ever going to be and have the best on road ride depending on what shocks you have installed. If you find that the shackle binds on the relocator under compression, then trim off the excess to clear the shackle.

Alright, that's excellent news. The ride now is really pretty good, and will be better once i get some Bilsteins back there.

All you need to do is remove the cross bolt on the clamps

That's true, i guess there's no real reason not to. I guess i could bend the arms out into more of a "V" shape to prevent binding too.

Back