• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch - XJ vs ZJ 4.0

Dumbest question lately with failed sirch?

• Bacon

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tigerchief

NAXJA Forum User
Currently replacing the water pump on a ZJ 4.0 and noticed that the clutch is a lot "stiffer" than the fan I just took off an XJ.

Anybody know if the ZJ fan clutch is supposed to be stiffer or is it just busted? (The ZJ only has the one mechanical fan, and no electric aux fan).

I was gonna replace the ZJ fan with the XJ fan, but won't if the ZJ fan is supposed to be that way.

I vote for the beer clutch lol.

See, with bacon you can only get fat and full.

With BEER you can get fat, full & drunk :cheers:.
Plus (in your mind) faster, funnier, smarter, stronger and better looking:gee: according to many "funny stories the next day" lol.

XJ fan clutch runs at about 40% of pulley epeed when it's engaged and ZJ fan clutch runs at about 60% of pulley speed. Alot of people who crawl or do alot of off-roading like the ZJ fan clutch. It's available at Napa as part number 272310. I had one on my 90 Comanche for about a month and went back to stock. It's kinda loud. So I put it on my son-in-laws trailer towing hunting XJ.

Yeah, found all those details when I got crafty with search terms via google.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Back