• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Detours Tire Carrier

not really. Designs like that will sway terribly back and forth on a trail, or even on a paved road. A trailer hitch tube will never fit tight enough to prevent sway/clanks/bangs/squeaks/etc, especially with a 50LB tire attached to it. Need multiple solid attachment points.

Wait a min...Detours came up with that? Out off all the projects and good builds they ditched the Tailbone sytem and came up with this? Interesting....

There's no way they ditched the tailbone system - it's by far I'm sure their best seller.

This is probably a supplement / cheaper alternative

As far as I've heard Detours stopped production of the Tailbone...

But either way. That's a horrible design. Like has already been stated it's going to flop all over the place!

Last edited:
This is what Im currently using:

This thing swings around like crazy and I havent even taken it wheeling yet. These pictures are from the p.o. who drilled a hole in the top of his hitch and welded a large nut to it. He then tightens down a bolt on the 2" tube and he claimed it kept it from swinging around.

I plan on drilling up through the bottom of the hitch and the 2" receiver tube, then welding a nut inside the 2" tube so I can tighten down a large bolt from underneath. Hopefully that will stop the rocking but I have my doubts.

Detours did in fact stop production of the tailbone. Im quite surprised based on all the positive feedback from customers.

not really. Designs like that will sway terribly back and forth on a trail, or even on a paved road. A trailer hitch tube will never fit tight enough to prevent sway/clanks/bangs/squeaks/etc, especially with a 50LB tire attached to it. Need multiple solid attachment points.

50?? My 35" tire on an aluminum wheel weighs 86 lbs.

This thing swings around like crazy and I havent even taken it wheeling yet. These pictures are from the p.o. who drilled a hole in the top of his hitch and welded a large nut to it. He then tightens down a bolt on the 2" tube and he claimed it kept it from swinging around.

I plan on drilling up through the bottom of the hitch and the 2" receiver tube, then welding a nut inside the 2" tube so I can tighten down a large bolt from underneath. Hopefully that will stop the rocking but I have my doubts.

Detours did in fact stop production of the tailbone. Im quite surprised based on all the positive feedback from customers.

Something like that could possibly help. On my tailbone, the wheel mount is removable from the swingarm and its square tube similar to a hitch. It has nuts welded to the outer tube with bolts going through them to stabilize the inner tube. One bolt is on the top and one on the side and they are not in the same plane. Tightening these down is all that holds the wheel mount onto the tailbone swingarm. You could do the same thing with the hitch, just include the pin as well.

The anti rattle/sway/twist feature on the Knucklebone proto appears to be same as the "wedge lock" system on the Hitchgate tire carrier rated at 150 lbs and SAE approved. Detours new design should be rock solid with this sliding wedge / draw type system anti rattle system. If it were easier for the GF to access I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Back