• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clanking/Tinking Metal Sound From Under

okcjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, this has been stumping me for about six months now...

Symptoms: When driving slowly (up to 30 mph) I am getting a light metal-to-metal clank coming from the driver's side of the Jeep. I believe it is coming from the rear somewhere, but sometimes it sounds like the front depending on how it echos. The sound occurs when I drive over ANY imperfection in the road, especially when driving slowly, such as in a parking lot. It is not a continuous, rhythmic sound. More like a tink-ta-tink-tink, and then it stops briefly. Imagine tapping the thin metal dust shield on the back of the front brakes with something metal. That is the sound I am getting.

I initially I thought the cause may be a suspension component, as my suspension was stock and completely worn out, but I just installed a 3" RC lift with new leaf packs, lower arms, Iron Rock Adj. Trac Bar, new front sway bar bushings, and JKS Disconnects. But the EXACT same noise is still present as with my worn out stock suspension.
So I doubt it has to do with a suspension component.

Front U-Joints have been checked and are SOLID. Front steering components are tight as well. Rear leafs/shocks solid, front spring clamps tight, and rear leaf clips are tight too being that they are brand new.

Any other suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

My XJ makes what sounds like the same noise, in my case I think it is the leaf spring clips that have worked themselves a little bit loose.
Sorry I can't offer another logical solution.

I had what I think is a similar sound, it turned out to be the rear E-brake cable banging around I think on the passenger side. I zip tied it off so it couldn't hit anything and solved my issue. I think the cable was hitting the exhaust so it had that thin metal tinking sound you describe.

Sorry to get back to this so late, but I have still yet to solve this. The sound is very similar to the sound loose leaf clamps would make. But I have discovered the sound is definitely coming from the driver's side front. I am so stumped to what is causing this. I have since replaced the driver's side hub bearing, and the sound is still there! It only occurs at a slow speed, such as when driving in a parking lot and the suspension compresses. It is completely random in that it comes and goes. Driving me nuts!!

Are you 100% sure that it stops after 30mph? Could you possibly not hear it over road/engine noise? If you are sure it stops around 30 maybe you have something in yout tire.

Not 100% sure. You are right. I may just not be able to hear it over the road noise. Btw, after thinking about the bent washer you mentioned, the large washer that is directly underneath the axle nut was fine. I was thinking of the really thin one that goes on underneath the "locking cap" that the cotter pin holds in place. That was the one that was bent that I reused.

Yes, I was asking about the really thin one that goes under the locking cap. It puts a preload on the lock cap so it won't rattle.

Ah, that makes sense. I did take it for a spin and you are correct. It does make the sound every so often while accelerating past 30 mph. I can hear it clearly with the windows down. But is does completely stop above ~40 while at a steady speed. The sound does not correspond with anything rotational. It makes the same tink-ta-tink-tink sound at the same rhythm regardless of speed it is more "in sync" with slight bumps in the road.
Thanks for your help!!

Just guessing: Front brake pad rattle? Try this to confirm: The next time you are
driving over a rough patch and hear the noise - very gently apply the brakes.
Use just enough force to load the front pads. If the rattle goes away each time...
then you know to suspect the pads.

My rear leaf springs clips were rattling, too. I took a tube of automotive silicone sealant
and used the tube nozzle to inject the goop in the gaps between the clips and the spring.
That took care of it.

That "bent" washer under the safety cap on the axle nut is actually supposed to be bent in that wavy pattern. It is a spring washer and keeps outward pressure on the safety cap. If you straightened it out till it was completely flat and then reused it, that could be where the noise is coming from.

edit: though of some more stuff... didn't see front shocks on the list. Check if the rubber bushings in the shocks are intact at both ends, I had a clunking from the driver side that I swore was a sway bar bushing that turned out to be a shock bushing. Also check to make sure your track bar bracket bolts (up at the frame side, two on the bottom two on the side) are properly torqued.

My rear leaf springs clips were rattling, too. I took a tube of automotive silicone sealant
and used the tube nozzle to inject the goop in the gaps between the clips and the spring.
That took care of it.

I have the same issue with the leaf spring clamps and this a good solution.

AFA the OP goes check the metal fuel lines/brake lines/vapor lines that run along the frame rails. Make sure one of them hasn't come loose from the plastic clips.

Back