• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker Issues 8.25....

Demolition_x

NAXJA Forum User
I had an Aussie locker installed when I had re geared my axles. This locker has been nothing but headaches for me. During straight line acceleration the locker pops a few times in a row it feels horrible and I cannot imagine its healthy for the locker and the axles. I can understand coming out of a turn and getting on the gas and getting one pop but i get 3-4 pops sometimes which is driving me nuts. I am at a lost of what the issue is. I contacted Aussie regarding the issue they told me it could be one of these issues. I have a ax-15 transmission I knew going into this that I was going to notice the locker more so than an auto. I have figured out in a few situations how to avoid less than desirable results and the issues I have are in areas where there should not be any issues for example straight line acceleration.

-Bent Axle Tube. (Highly doubt this since the locker mates up square when I changed the fluids )

-Not Even Tire Diameter (Tires have the same tread and the same tire pressure)

-The clearances when the locker was set up (Locker was set up with 0.140 spacing which I think is the low end of the range it can be.)

-Cross Shaft could be soft? (I did not check this but I have another cross shaft on the way which should be hardened so I will swap it out but I can't imagine in less than 1k miles on the setup that the cross pin if it is soft could be starting to wear prematurely)

Has anyone else had any issues and possibly come up with a conclusion. If swapping the cross pin does not help anything I am on the fence of putting spiders back in. I do not think I am being unreasonable I understand it should pop I just think that the quantity of pops and when they are happening is very unusual and wrong.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Is your Jeep tacking straight?(not pulling left or right)

I ask because if it is trying to track sideways it will differentiate the rear axle some, enough for an occasional pop.

My Aussie will slam sometimes almost for no reason but it performs flawlessly otherwise.

When is it popping when going straight? In between shifts or just out of no where?
Usually always happens while in gear and not shifting. With the 4.88's I shift into third at probably 20 mph so its usually when i wind out third to 3k or so. She will go pop pop pop. Other times if I am making a 90 degree turn onto a road I will shift from first to second and coast into the turn with the clutch engaged and gear in neutral then throw it in third with about 25 percent and easily accelerate and get a semi gentle pop which is to be expected. Other times I leave it in second and let the body roll of the jeep in the turn spin the inside tire and chirp it around the turn. /i know it engages and disengages while it should its the multiple pops in a straight line when it should be locked when it isn't or trying to lock which ever it may be.

Is your Jeep tacking straight?(not pulling left or right)

I ask because if it is trying to track sideways it will differentiate the rear axle some, enough for an occasional pop.

My Aussie will slam sometimes almost for no reason but it performs flawlessly otherwise.

If I am driving down a straight road I can take my had off of the wheel and the car tracks just fine without touching the wheel. I wouldn't mind just one pop because that in my mind means it wasn't lined up properly and then engaged the teeth. But it will do several pops in a row like it is trying to find an engagement point then does after several attempts.

Can't tell you how frustrating it can be.

Did you do the install? Are you sure about your measurements? If you used grease to install,it can dramatically alter the measurements.

Did you do the install? Are you sure about your measurements? If you used grease to install,it can dramatically alter the measurements.

I did not do the install I had it done when I got my gears done.

This weekend I plan on tearing the rear apart and seeing where things are at and if there are any issues.

It should never make any popping sounds in a straight line just driving. You either have worn drive plates or excessive gap in the space between the parts inside. This could happen if the thrust washers are required on the sides of the drive plates but were not installed.

Back