• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need sound system help!

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My stock 88 AM/FM Cassette player is kaput. It lights up, but no play, the labels on the buttons are worn off...log story short, I need a newer unit. I don't need anything fancy, but I do want CD, MP3, ipod.

The question is...am I better off just going to Best Buy etc. and have them install it or is it simple enough to just buy a head unit, an adapter plug and go.

I'm pretty handy, but not too adept at electrics.

OK, go!

I think they sell wiring harnesses that just plug in, no cutting or anything. Plug one end into the factory plug and the other end into the new stereo, done. The deck comes right out at least on my 97 it was very simple, I think 2 bolts and it's was out and back in. I would at least attempt it before paying someone to do that job.

The older interior is more difficult since you have to take the plastic trim off the goes around the radio, air control, gauges, etc. There are a few screws to take out and carefully pull it off. Not nearly as easy as a 97+ as the only trim that needs to be removed goes around just the radio and air controls and it is held in place with just some metal clips and it literally pops right off.

What you will need to do is go to best buy and buy a radio and get the factory harness adapter (ask for the ones that the installers have back in the install bay as those are of a higher quality than the ones in the show room) this will have a clip on the end that will plug right into the factory harness and the wires that come off of it are universally color coded and each wire is labeled with what it does. This harness's wires are open ended. The radio will come with its own harness with wires with open ends also and you splice these wires with the ones that come on the factory harness adapter. The radio harness has the universally color coded wires as well so the colors of both wires will be close enough to match up the wires but double check with the install guide that come with the radio to make sure you don't cross any wires on accident. The the new radio harness may or may not have its wire labeled. Matching up and splicing the wires is the hardest and most time consuming part of this install and its fairly straight forward not too difficult.

I never have found an adapter for a Renix, good luck. Be careful if you do it yourself, not much room in there, real easy to screw the pooch. Having someone else do it may work out for you or they may screw the pooch then you've doubled your trouble, either you'll have to find what they screwed up and then fix it or go through endless arguments about it not being their problem anymore.

Renixradio.gif

RenixRadio-1.jpg

Last edited:
if bestbuy does it and messes up, it's their problem to fix, that's my take on it

The older interior is more difficult since you have to take the plastic trim off the goes around the radio, air control, gauges, etc...

I've had the bezel off several times, so not a problem.

Thanks for the rest of the info too...that's kinda where I'm at. I have the dash bezel off and the old radio out

I never have found an adapter for a Renix, good luck. Be careful if you do it yourself, not much room in there, real easy to screw the pooch.

Best Buy installed the stereo in my XJ...that was 7 or 8 years ago, this is for the MJ. Same animal but they did seem to have a little trouble matching it up with the right adapter...

No pooch screwing, I'd like to do it once (or have them do it once) and be done with it. I'm not going to put in any extra speakers, boxes or subs. I just want to have a radio and a little music.

I've just about given up, I tried one last time to give it to the shop (new shop) and let them replace the window motor. Now my seat belt light stays on all the time and when I hook up the trailer, my courtesy light blink when I use the turn signals.:twak: My guess is a ground fault someplace.

I can't remember the last time I had the shop do anything I didn't have to re do or they built in another problem I had to fix. A $80 an hour prostrate exam without the Vaseline.

Here is for the MJ

MJradio.png

Surely Best Buy has an adaptor harness like Ben824 said, if not them try another car audio shop, they would more than likely have one. Basically +1 on Ben824's post, its very straightforward with the harness. Just make sure you don't electrical tape the wires together or any of that crap, you'll be in for a massive migraine (past the point of the ordinary headache) then. Make sure wherever you choose for the ground wire is a good one also, that can cause problems too. Good luck,

Mike

Surely Best Buy has an adaptor harness like Ben824 said, if not them try another car audio shop, they would more than likely have one. Basically +1 on Ben824's post, its very straightforward with the harness. Just make sure you don't electrical tape the wires together or any of that crap, you'll be in for a massive migraine (past the point of the ordinary headache) then. Make sure wherever you choose for the ground wire is a good one also, that can cause problems too. Good luck,

Mike

x2 on not just twisting the wires together and using electrical tape. Also do not use the household wire nuts that you twist over the wires these will not provide a good long term connection in a Jeep.

Use the FSM to match up the correct wires. Don't remember the name of them, but I use the connectors that splice into the wire and add a new one. That way you do not have to hack up your harness. Altho, I believe that crutchfield has the correct adapter.

x2 on not just twisting the wires together and using electrical tape. Also do not use the household wire nuts that you twist over the wires these will not provide a good long term connection in a Jeep.

In one of my other cars, I found the PO used those wire nuts to install rear speakers. I was shocked to see them, I never thought someone would use them in a car but I guess I was stupid to think that ha.

If you decide to install the stereo yourself, I recommend going with Crutchfield. Great customer service when I ran into problems installing a complete stereo system in a 1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max. If they can help with that, an MJ shouldnt be a problem.

BUy yourself a soldering gun and some shrink wrap and do it correctly. I wouldn't dare trust wrapping wires together and just putting electrical tape oveer them. That's asking for poor connections. I wouldn't even use crimped connectors. They tend to fail after a couple years. Soldering and shrink wrap is the correct/only way to do any kind of electrical work.

I have this Alpine head unit in my taco. It does it all at a great price ~200$ on crutchfield. the best part to me is the integrated bluetooth phone stuff. no stupid ear pieces or acting like you're not holding a phone while talking, Its all built in.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-103bt/

IMO the optional ipod cord is pointless, you need to focus on the stereo to change the song. Its way easier to use the aux. input and scroll with the actual ipod.

Im reasonably good with basic stereos and would be glad to lend you a hand. Im off tue. and wed. too.

I was looking at the Alpine AND the Bluetooth. I know it's un-american but I don't own an iPod.

I appreciate the offer of assistance and if I hit a snag I'll give you a PM. As soon as the unit arrives I'll take a good look at it and see if it's screwy. Thanks again!!

P.S. Same goes here, let me know if I can ever give you a hand.

Double up vote for Crutchfield. They have great deals. I just got a new cd player with ipod controls, harness, and faceplate for under hundred and fifty. Deff nicer than the old cassette that I was rocking. Now I just need to rewire the front speakers so they work.

Back