• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 xj window regulator??

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So, it died, well it makes a little sounds, like click

I disconnected the drivers side window, and it still does nothing

I am thinking of removing it and trying to rebuild it, and links or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

So, it died, well it makes a little sounds, like click

I disconnected the drivers side window, and it still does nothing

I am thinking of removing it and trying to rebuild it, and links or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

I just went through this on a 90. Bit of a PITA but do-able in a couple of hours. The existing regulator is riveted in place so if you decide to prowl junkyards take a drill with a good sized bit.

Easiest way that I found was to remove the bolt holding the glass (tape the glass to the frame so it doesn't drop) and then drill out the 3 rivets holding the regulator AND the 4 rivets (2 on top/2 on bottom) that hold the rail. Now the whole assembly can be removed. There are a couple of rivets that hold the regulator to the cable and once you remove these you can replace the regulator pretty easily. I reassembled using nuts/bolts/lock washers and reinstalled. The door edges are sharp so keep bandaids handy

Gtg
Todd

You can order a regulator rebuild kit from Steiger Performance for 36 bucks. Plastic oem piece is probably broken if you can hear the motor run. I did my 99 in about an hour and a half. Just follow the instructions. No problems, pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the information.
The motor does not run, but it clicks or buzzes, if that makes sense.
Is it better to rebuild them or to grab on out of a wreck? I assume that I would need to get one out of the drivers door at the junk yard? Which years work?

Has anyone had luck rebuilding their old ones?

Thanks,
Bob

I got mine on my 87 working again 4 years ago by flooding the metal tube with several different brands of pen lube several times, and then helping the window up and down a few times while running the window motor. There is a steel coil inside that rusts and bonds with rust to the steel tube. Just pen lube the hell out of it and work the mechanism up and down a few times.

I did take apart the regulator and cleaned of the metal coil and lubed it up, and it seems to be ok, now just need to re-install it
Might need to lube up the other windows!!!!
Thanks,
Bob

I replaced the window channel runs and seals also, made a big difference in how much effort is needed to move the glass. The old rubber gets hard and grabs.

Back