• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire quandry

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Quick n00b question - One of my swampers has a slow leak & I need to swap the spare on. It has never been used. Just wondered if there's a "best" place to mount a brand new spare: front or rear?

Also, will it make a big difference if the wheel weighs more or less than the other one on the axle?
Thx!

Do you have any lockers,if so you need to put any mis-matched spare on a non-driven axle(the front).If you dont have any lockers it doesn't really matter.

Well now it gets interesting. Both diffs are locked: Aussie in the rear & an electric locker in the front. Is this a problem? The used tires aren't real worn. Guess I better take some pics & measurements.

you'll be fine as long as the spare isnt at 100% and the rest at 60%...

if your worried, put it in the rear and listen for unusual unloading/clanking of your aussie.

next time, if you have a full size matching spare.... introduce it into your tire rotation schedule, if you had done this, that tire would be perfectly worn in, and actually match sizing a lot closer. win-win.

you'll be fine as long as the spare isnt at 100% and the rest at 60%...

if your worried, put it in the rear and listen for unusual unloading/clanking of your aussie.

next time, if you have a full size matching spare.... introduce it into your tire rotation schedule, if you had done this, that tire would be perfectly worn in, and actually match sizing a lot closer. win-win.
I agree and I usually do the 5 tire rotation but the guys around here could not balance the spare. I don't understand why. Now I'll have to get some BBs or something.

Johnbizzle - no fix-a-flat for me!
So I guess I'm still not sure where to put it. I'll def have to determine how much the treads vary & go from there.

Last edited:
Back