• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ steering pump problems, did I get the wrong one?

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
I just went to the wrecking yard and found a steering pump from a Grand Cherokee WJ that looked to be in good shape so I pulled it to use on my 93 XJ. All the write-ups I've seen mention that the that there is 3 fittings on the WJ pump but only 2 on the XJ pump so you're supposed to plug one of the lines. I pulled mine from a WJ complete with the power steering pump cooler but upon getting it home noticed there is only 2 fittings. The high pressure at the top and just one low pressure at the bottom of the reservoir.

I'm not sure if this will work or not, I always see the write-ups mentioning the 3 fittings. I'm not sure which engine this came from, did I get the wrong one?

So after doing a little more research, it appears that I may have got the one from a 4.0 WJ rather than a 4.7 WJ. The 4.7 has an extra nipple because a line runs down to the fan. Does anybody know if the pump is actually different though, as in flow ratings? Is the 4.0 pump not an upgrade?

Back