• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying Oil Pan

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Im trying to gather some info on anyone who has modified their stock oil pan, specifically for more uptravel.

Seems most who run high steer (typically on D44 and D60s), run into problems with uptravel and steering/oil pan interference. I know a lot of people with V8s run a Kevko oil pan which apparently allows for more clearance, so applying this concept to our I6, has anyone bought or modified their stock pan to allow for more clearance?

Its been a couple years since Ive seen the inside of an 4.0 oil pan, but I dont remember anything on the front of the pan. Would it be possible to cut 1''+ off the front portion of the pan and not have oiling issues? Or does the pan hug the engine, and not allow for any more clearance?

Anyone have a side shot of how low the crank sits?

Thoughts, pics, etc are more then welcome! :rtm:

On the 96+ engines the pan is pretty close to the main girdle, It looks like the factory kept the pan nice and close, Its been a while since I've looked, but I think there is less than 1/2."

Here's a pic of a dry sump pan to get an idea of how much can be cut, maybe someone has more details on the engine its on.
IMG_2891.jpg

Pic from This thread.

~Alex

On the 96+ engines the pan is pretty close to the main girdle, It looks like the factory kept the pan nice and close, Its been a while since I've looked, but I think there is less than 1/2."

Here's a pic of a dry sump pan to get an idea of how much can be cut, maybe someone has more details on the engine its on.
IMG_2891.jpg

Pic from This thread.

~Alex

Seems like a set of lifted motor mounts is the best option???

i trussed mah axle and compressed it with no springs and took bumpstop compression into account and on one of the first jumps it smashed the oil pan. so i notched the truss and launched it again and it dented the oil pan and bent the bearing cradle into the crankshaft.

between unibody flex and motor mount compression i guess it made it so the axle would hit the motor.

but there isnt much room for improvement.

a 1" motor mount lift was too tall for me with my tucked up t-case. so i made a half inch lift and made my bumps even longer

i trussed mah axle and compressed it with no springs and took bumpstop compression into account and on one of the first jumps it smashed the oil pan. so i notched the truss and launched it again and it dented the oil pan and bent the bearing cradle into the crankshaft.

between unibody flex and motor mount compression i guess it made it so the axle would hit the motor.

but there isnt much room for improvement.

a 1" motor mount lift was too tall for me with my tucked up t-case. so i made a half inch lift and made my bumps even longer

Compromise really sucks but you wish the government would learn to do it!

Back