• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

well, did i mess up my trans?

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
I recently rebuilt an ax15 and swapped it into my 88 xj. I had forgotten that the gl5 was not compatible with the synchros in the trans, and thats what i have in it. Should i worry, and how long would it take to mess up the trans? ive had it in for probably 2 months with mostly small town city driving.

Well, now that you know, I would drain and replace with the right stuff, probably a couple times. No sense continuing to drive on something you know is incorrect...

what should i use? ive heard 10-30w motor oil. but is gl5 truly incorrect? ive read that the gl5 isnt actually harmful to yellow metals? i hate reading on the intardnet. it has so much contradictive information that it is hard to set the facts straight.

In my old Tracker, I always used 90W gear oil. That's what the book called for. Same on my uncle's car too.

hmm. but i mean all transmissions are different.. am i overthinking this? im a little paranoid now haha

My two examples are a Suzuki and an Isuzu. I've never heard different, except I think I heard of one running ATF. But the answer should be in a Haynes manual or the owners manual.

I've also heard 10-30 is acceptable. Rather then trust us, your best bet would be to call you local Jeep dealership, and ask the service department what to put in it.

I ran 90w in my 96' xj with no problems. When the motor gave up after 30k of driving I scrapped it and took alot of parts one was the tranny, when I drained it the fluid was still in great shape but I drive easy on it.

I was told by a jeep tech (xjjeeper19 on here) to use 10w30 in the ax15

The FSM does not say use ATF for the AX15.

The AX 4/5/15 from 91-96 use Mopar® 75W - 90, API Grade GL - 5.
The AX 5/15 from 97-01 use Mopar® 75W - 90, API Grade GL - 3.

There are some TSB's over the years stating not to use additives or any other viscosity fluid in these transmissions. JE-05B-89, JE-50A-89, JE-27B-90, and 21-03-93.

My 95 service manual said 70-90 wt I run amsoil in my AX-15 its a synthetic and it helped it shift smoother than ever , Yet I need to replace it because it has huncks of gears floating around in it but I bought it that way 6 years ago and its still working .

Back