• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doors unlock on startup?

ChrisH

NAXJA Forum User
I finally signed up. I've been all over this site for a couple of years and you guys have helped me more than I can count. My 2 brothers and I all have XJ's. Every time any of us have had a problem I have found the solution here via Google. This one on the other hand, has me stumped. I have a 2001 4.0 AW4. 3 times today, while turning the key to start up, the Jeep hesitates and the doors all unlock like I hit the button. If anyone has an Idea what it could be I would be all ears. In the last 2 weeks I replaced the alternator, if that could have anything to do with it. Thanks in advance.

If the door locks are activating by themselves, you have a short circuit or open circuit.

Wiring problems in the doors are common. Inspect the drivers door wire harness for chafed insulation, damaged wires, and failed wire splices.

I'll check into it. It just really baffled me, and I'll be the first to say I'm no electrician. Hopefully it's that easy. Thanks for the response.

Not sure how long you've had the jeep but try looking for some kind of aftermarket alarm that a PO may have had installed. Some of those will lock/unlock depending on what position the ignition is in.

If you have the factory keyless entry it will work even with the jeep running. You may want to make sure nothing is pressing any of the keyfob buttons by accident.

Back