• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which shocks would you buy?

Iwannagofishin

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be putting a "Rock-Lizard-Type" budget boost lift on my 95 XJ this weekend. Shooting for 3" of lift front and rear. My old shocks need replacing and I have a budget of about $200. I'd really like to spend less than that if possible. I'll do light wheeling with occasional towing.

Here's what I'm considering:

Rough Country Hydro or Nitro. Yes, I've read all the flames. I've also read some good stuff.

SkyJacker 7000 Hydro

Monroe Sensatracs - YJ shocks for the front. MJ shocks for the rear.

Zone

Please let me know if you have opinions on these 3, or another suggestion. Remember, $200.

Thanks

I'm going to be putting a "Rock-Lizard-Type" budget boost lift on my 95 XJ this weekend. Shooting for 3" of lift front and rear. My old shocks need replacing and I have a budget of about $200. I'd really like to spend less than that if possible. I'll do light wheeling with occasional towing.

Here's what I'm considering:

Rough Country Hydro or Nitro. Yes, I've read all the flames. I've also read some good stuff.

SkyJacker 7000 Hydro

Monroe Sensatracs - YJ shocks for the front. MJ shocks for the rear.

Zone

Please let me know if you have opinions on these 3, or another suggestion. Remember, $200.

Thanks

Oops, I meant opinions on these 4. :rolleyes:

Budgets always seem to get in the way of quality. Really starting to piss me off too!

You best bet maybe to check your local classifieds and get some shocks that someone has removed for their upgrade.
You probably won't be too happy with $50 shocks.
Just sayin'....

I DD my 89XJ and currently running RC hydros ft/r. Rides good, I take it out to the dunes and it does fine. Yes, better quality shocks would be BETTER. But I got mine on the cheap. IF you can find some JK take-offs that would work too. Low-price, pretty much bolt-in. Only thing for front is using a BPE or removing bushing sleeve and installing stock bar pin. Good for up to 4" lift.
Otherwise I would go Bilstein 5100s, but thats a bit of $$, but maybe you will get lucky and find some on CL or other local.

I've had just about all you listed at one time or another... and they are all about the same.

For your budget I'd get on Ebay... or call up some of the big offroad accessory shops and find a set of used/OEM take offs from a JK rubicon. I've delt with them and they seem to be a pretty decent shock... better than what you listed.

Then with the money saved... save up for something nice.

Out of those 4, Zone.

Their Nitros are an excellent valved shock. I ran em and would've kept em if they were long enough for 4.5". I also ran skyjacker Hydros a few times. It's a soft shock that rusts up really quickly.

bilstein 5100's can be had for a bit more but will also outlast/outperform a regular white shock, they have a very durable coating as compared to a regular white shock, and are great shock for a relatively cheap price granted it will be more than 200. If you're interested pm and I'll let you know where to find them..

Last edited:
bilstein 5100's can be had for around that price maybe even a tad less, not sure..
but they have a very durable coating as compared to a regular white shock, and are pretty durable. If you're interested pm and I'll let you know where to find them..

I searched for weeks and could only get em for $320 shipped at eshocks.com.

Not that I'm complaining cuz they were worth every damn penny.

Back