• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't decide on which frame stiffeners

Nuke Proof

NAXJA Forum User
I've read a lot of threads where people who have HD stiffeners love them and people who have the TNT like them too. I am leaning toward the TNT's because of the price.

Is there anyone who has experience with the TNT that might be reason to spend the extra money on the HD?

Oh and I have no intention on drilling a thousand rosette holes in the TNT's. I'll probably do a 1" plug weld every foot or so.

Thanks

I just went for the HD stiffeners. I figured the slightly thinner material would be perfectly fine and easier to weld to the unibody.

Not sure where the price issue came up but H.D. is Less expensive to your door.

H.D. ALL THE WAY.

Detours, you get stiffeners and sliders all rolled in to one very tough package

Nah...not buying it.
IMAGE_1000000750.JPG

As someone who has installed TnT as well as Detours, the TnT with modded AJ's rockers is way stronger.

Ruff Stuff makes Reinforcement plates also:
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html

im getting ready for some stiffening myself. i know ruffstuff is supposed to have some on the market. has anyone had any experience with them at all? not that the tnt or the hds arent quality but the ruffstuff products i have bought have been nothing but beef.

I just went for the HD stiffeners. I figured the slightly thinner material would be perfectly fine and easier to weld to the unibody.

Any pics? How did that work with the Poly 3-link?

I have the TNT customs that I got a long time ago. They're pretty nice but if I had to do it over I would get the HD Engineering ones for sure. Already drilled for rosette welds and also thinner material. 10 gauge is perfect in my opinion. 3/16" is pushing to thick.

I've read a lot of threads where people who have HD stiffeners love them and people who have the TNT like them too. I am leaning toward the TNT's because of the price.

Is there anyone who has experience with the TNT that might be reason to spend the extra money on the HD?

Oh and I have no intention on drilling a thousand rosette holes in the TNT's. I'll probably do a 1" plug weld every foot or so.

Thanks

The HD stiffeners are actually $14 less $105 vs $119. I think both companies offer a 10% discount and are excellent. I just had a problem with a TNT truss. I have never seen a company respond better or more professionally. I had fixed the problem by rewelding a piece so they gave me a new t-shirt which led me to order a track bar... which they shipped wrapped in a surprise... gorgeous hammer grey powdercoat.

http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/products/xj-frame-stiffeners
http://www.tntcustoms.com/JeepcherokeeXJZJuni-bodystiffeners-2.aspx

I guess the issue is if you need 3/16 vs. 1/8... I actually think the extra 1/16 will make very little difference compared to those rosette welds, but I am a TNT customer for life so...

The Tnt is only an extension toward the front whereas the HD are for the full front. Check out the pics

You are completely right, they do. This is where my question stems. Is it worth the extra $$$ for that length. I come from the viewpoint of would a reputable company such as TNT sacrifice quality and offer an inferior product? answer...Probably not. With that in mind, is that extra length necessary? Or is that length needed? I have no idea.

I am in no means saying that TNT is the bar to be measured from and that HD is adding something that is not needed. I have no idea who has a better product and that is why I posted this thread. If they are both good and get the job done, is it really worth the extra $$$. HD's are $210+shipping and TNT's are $179+shipping for front and middle. If the quality is better, then I'll drop the extra.

EDIT: I'm not trying to trying to sound cheap but right now every dollar counts. I've been saving for a year to get the money to make my jeep trail worthy/safe. Aside from the 8.8, the Clayton LA and 33's it's completely stock. Not something I would trust on anything other than fire roads. My next steps are to pretty much copy Eric's sliders and cage. I also need to build a bumper for the 8274 I picked up used. To me there are needs and necessities. Cage, sliders and a winch are necessities and so are stiffeners, BUT is that extra foot of material and $30 a necessity? I know $30 doesn't sound like that much, but on a budget it really is. Heck its a start on my Clayton four link fund.

Last edited:
FYI guys, 10 gauge is 0.134" thick....a couple hairs over 1/8". The way I see it both front designs have bennefits. Mine go all the way to the front of the frame reinforcing the bumper/ track bar / and steering box area........

FYI guys, 10 gauge is 0.134" thick....a couple hairs over 1/8". The way I see it both front designs have bennefits. Mine go all the way to the front of the frame reinforcing the bumper/ track bar / and steering box area........

Now THATS worth $30. Never thought about that. Guess I know what I'm ordering. Only going to have cut the driver's side a little bit to go around the clayton track bar bracket.

Thanks Brian

no love for ruffstuff?

the most complete stiffener setup for the middle of the rig. they come up past the rails to tie into the floors and even come up the front rails and rear rails a bit. holes are already drilled.

i have those and i think hd offroad up front with some plate underneath (plating just the outside of the rails is pretty useless imo) and 3x3 angle in back.

20364-img-1581-small.jpg

Good Lord!!! Did you drop that thing out of an airplane!

I've landed on my so hard my kidneys hurt the next day without even a dent.

Has Mark seen this?
I don't remember what did that, which means it wasn't an earth shattering event. 1/8" box, with 2 small 4" mounts...it never had a chance.

No, I haven't shown Mark. No point...he makes nice stuff, but it's only built to be so rugged, and I'm going way past that. I installed all this stuff for the original owner of the rig, and since bought the whole rig from him...it's not quite the way I would have built it. I should show you the dents in the Detours rear bumper, and broken pivot post for the tire carrier:confused1

I should show you the dents in the Detours rear bumper, and broken pivot post for the tire carrier:confused1

I've dented both my detours rear bumper all over, and dented the Jeep because of the Detours rear bumper. I too know that I'm more than likely using my Jeep harder than what it is designed for (that and I'm not the original owner), so I'm not too upset about it really at all.

Back