• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No blinkers

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ 4WD I6, mostly stock.

I was driving today and upon turning my blinker on in order to make a right turn, I heard a zapping sound from the steering wheel area and the blinkers went out. I am blinkerless now. The lights are on and also the highbeams come on too.

I am going to start on it tonight, in a mean time: any ideas what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

Boris

P.S. BTW, I had this problem before...from time to time one of the driver side bulbs would go out due to a loose connection and it would blink really fast when attempting to make left turn. That would last for couple of hours and then it would come back to normal on its own. It happened three-four times a year...

Last edited:
Easiest first -- have you checked the flasher module? Do the hazard flashers work? I think the two functions use the same module on the 99 but am not sure.

No one wants to guess what zapped around the steering wheel and caused my blinkers to fail?

I would guess the zapping sound was caused by a worn out wire coming into contact with something it shouldn't have come in contact with.

:lecture:

...so what can zap? I'd be looking at ignition switch, headlight switch, multi function switch...in that order. Look for burn marks. I think you gone past looking at the flasher, although it may have gotten fried in the process.

Back