• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire tread block question

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
I bought 4 general grabber at2's yesterday and 1 or 2 of the blocks on 2 or 3 of the tires are kind of weird. Instead of having sharp edges, they are rounded off slightly. The height is the same as the other blocks, but like I'm saying, they're just rounded as if the edges were smoothed off. My theory is that when the rubber was in the mold, it didn't 100% completely fill out the mold to the edges. It's hard to explain, and I'm at work and can't take a picture.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Is this a safety concern?? They ride fine and I don't notice anything weird when driving at speeds up to 70mph. I'm calling the place after work today to ask them about it.

Probably the only reason I even saw this is because I had the wheels off the jeep when I had the tires put on -they just mounted them then I took them home in my dad's truck and put them on. I was really looking at and inspecting every one before I put them on. On the one/s that have 2 blocks affected, they are right next to each other.

Sounds like you may have a defective set of tires. Since they are new and unused, load them up in the truck and take them back to the dealer and get them exchanged or a refund.

Sounds like you may have a defective set of tires. Since they are new and unused, load them up in the truck and take them back to the dealer and get them exchanged or a refund.

Dang, I was afraid of that...I think *1* of them was ok, but at least 2 (maybe 3) had the weird blocks. Thanks for the advice.

if they drive fine, a small defect in a couple tread blocks is NOTHING...

do tires destroy themselfs after theyve lost a couple chunks of lugs? noooooooooo.

if they drive fine, a small defect in a couple tread blocks is NOTHING...

do tires destroy themselfs after theyve lost a couple chunks of lugs? noooooooooo.

I don't know...when my dad and I looked at them I just figured it was just like I thought...they just didn't have the edges that the other blocks had. Almost looked like the look of the rounded edges of those styrofoam peanuts. And like I said, they were the same height as the other blocks, just rounded edges. I really dread the thought of pulling them off putting my old ones on and all that crap. Granted, it it's a safety issue -no problem. I'm gonna give the guys a call after work and see what they say about it. I'm really thinking it *might* be ok, but spending about 580, I'd like to hear from someone who has seen this before saying "yeah, it's safe" or "no, it's not"

edit: my dad called and the guy said bring it in and they'll take a look at it. I'll post back tonight with an update just in case anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Followup: well, after work it took me about 10-15 minutes just to locate one of the suspect tread blocks again. I had about 15 miles on them, and they were almost not even recognizable unless you were REALLY looking, and knew what to look *for*. The guy said after a few hundred miles or so they'd look just the same as the others....It's just like I thought, really and he wasn't just brushing me off...he said that yeah, for the money you want to make sure everything is alright. So yeah, I felt pretty stupid when i got out there and you could hardly tell what i was even talking about but better safe than sorry.

These tires are replacing some 6 year old "wide climbers" by the way. These run much quieter, and have better siping so i'm looking forward to trying them out in the rain and snow :) now it's time to do the rear brakes.....

Back