• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Are there dash lights for the heater / AC controls?

marc davis

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ. Are there dash lights for the heater / AC controls? I just wanted to make sure that are supposed to light up before i take it apart to "fix" it.

Thanks

There should be a connector/bulb that plugs into the rear of the HVAC panel. I know that sometimes they come out. Pull the dash panel, and the HVAC controlls and hopefully you will find the connector/bulb. Maybe yours is burned out?

The bulb is located on the top right (passenger side) on the rear of the assembly and illuminates the whole panel. As noted, it has either burned out or has fallen out of the back. Pretty easy job to fix. There are four screws to remove (2 above the speedo, 1 above the cig lighter and one above the rocker switches on the left). Once removed the plastic dash cover will pop off (held in place with clips so it takes a light pressure to remove).

Once you are at this point you can remove the four screws holding the HVAC controls and pull the assembly out enough to get at the bulb. Be careful removing the bulb (they twist out) because the socket gets brittle with age and the retention clips (plastic) can break off. If this happens I typically dab a small bit of silicon sealant on the edge of the socket to hold it in.

HTH
Todd

The little plastic prongs on the bulb holders are delicate, and it's easy to break them if you remove them wrong. As I recall, they twist, but they're so flimsy that it's easy to twist the wrong way and break it before you realize it. So it's possible that a previous user broke them, and then, of course, the light falls out. If so, you may have to use tape or some sticky substance to hold it in place or it will fall out before you can even get it back together.

Back