• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who makes a 2-3 inch progressive rate coil?

Action Fab

NAXJA Forum User
I have sold superlift, black dimond and BDS products from my shop for years. And they make some very high qualiy products... But all of their coils are linear.

For my MJ I am running 37's on JK Moab 17's and I put in a set of RE 4.5's and it sits up to high... I am wanting it to sit at about 2.5 of lift. I still need to add my winch to the bumper but even when I sit on the hood it's high. I am running zero lift in the rear. I plan to add a new spring pack (factory) and add a .75" lift shackle out back along with the 8.8 swap which will net me the same hight I am at now. So with a 2.5" lift coil, a 67lb winch and a 59lb bumper up front I should sit just about level maybe have a little rear rake but take out the factory front rake.

So now that you know my plans here is what I am looking for.

I am looking for a 2-3 lift coil that is soft, and is progressive. I don't want to run coilovers but want to transition from a 150lb up to a 175-200lb rate as the coil compresses. I use lincoln town car coils to do this on the rear of my TJ and they work awesome. Is tere a company who made such a coil? My best option I have found so far is an OME 2" coil with a crawler ready 1" coil isolator in place of the factory .5 spring pad.

Here is my truck now without any rear lift and 4.5 RE coils on the front... Stock control arms still in place too. Oh don't mind the fork lift... just working as "park" since the truck isn't exactly in good condition yet and there is a hill there it was trying to
coast down.

dscn0902z.jpg

dscn0907wl.jpg

dscn0906o.jpg

And I know the rear is looks to close to the tires with out lift. But it's not trimed yet.

-Chris

Just an idea maybe tj 3.5" lift coils... I believe they would have a lower spring rate then xj lift coils and I've read tj coils net about 1" less lift on xj/mjs.

Planning on running stock axles til they die?

You could try the Moog (Carquest) coils, part # CC784. They are progressive and give around 2 to 2.5" lift.

Last edited:
Just an idea maybe tj 3.5" lift coils... I believe they would have a lower spring rate then xj lift coils and I've read tj coils net about 1" less lift on xj/mjs.

Planning on running stock axles til they die?

Got a polished set of axles in the shop for it... HP30 and an 8.8. (they will both get a very heavy shave too). I have had one tons and they are cool but I like light weight high clearance better. I have some rubicon axles too, but I'll see what I can do with the 30 first. I brake just as much stuff on my rubicon LP 44 in my TJ as I did with this HP 30. Also this is going to be a show case for my products so I dont plan to rag on it to bad. My buddy that I build a lot of jeeps for just bought a JK so in a year or so we are going to do a set of 60's in it. I'll end up putting his JK 30/44 in my MJ then.

You could try the Moog (Carquest) coils, part # CC784. They are progressive and give around 2.5" lift.

Hmmm, I'll have to check those out. Do you have any info on their application? What kind of spring rate they are? I am looking for a long soft spring that will compress further yet still have some firmness at the top to keep down on body roll. I could through one of my anti-rocks on but I hate to do that...

My biggest issue is I have been building hard core rock crawlers for years and know what a proper suspension on coilovers and tripple rates will do for a rig. And since this is more a show rig than a go rig I can't go hacking it up into a trail rig with CO's. I'll have a new suspension system that will be R&D'ed off this truck and need to stick with a factory style coil/shock set up.

Last edited:
I think I have narrowed my shock selection down to eather bilstein 6100's or 7100's. I want to use studded upper mounts so I can run the bump stops that I get from Day Motorsports... This will allow me to delet the bump stop cup that is inside the coil springs. I will then be able to get more up travel with less lift an no noise from the coil rubbing the bump stop cup. These also come in 4 differant harnesses so I can tune the bump if I need to. As I said before this will be the R&D truck for my new Mid Arm suspension that I hope to start on soon. So I am trying to start with a good bace before I get into the link work. I will not be selling my kits with anykind of shock or coil options. But I need a solid setup for my own development and testing. I can't push the suspension to its limits with a set of coils and shocks that aren't going to perform at the same level.

Here are the bump stops on a set of 5100's mocked up on a TJ I am building. The little blue thing at the top gets smooshed at full bump.
img106e.jpg

Last edited:
I had those cc784s on my old 2wd street xj. Loved em. They were progressive as well.

Back