• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix- changed valve cover gasket, now high idle?

cheapcherokee93

<----boat-manche
so i replaced my valve cover gasket on my 88 MJ because it was leaking. so i do the change, whatever. hook everything back up, and now i have a higher idle of 1200 rpms. WTF :flamemad: those of you might have already seen my other thread where it was just at 1000 rpms and i was trying to solve that, but now its obviously gotten worse for no apparent reason. i've already tried different IACs with no change, also tried a different IAT with no luck either. TPS is calibrated, less than 1 OHM resistance to the sensor grounds. next on the list is the O2 sensor, will see what that does but in the mean time, any ideas? i didn't think a valve cover gasket would have anything to do with my idle :dunno:

dbl check your vacuum lines... especially the map line that goes to the side of your throttle body (allthough this would probably cause a VERY ROUGH idle, not just high).

if you have a multimeter, check the imput and output voltages on the TPS as well... ive done work to vehicles without touching the tps... only to find out later that it was out of spec... but still ran fine untill i changed SOMETHING and messed with the harmony.

well it ended up being a vacuum line that i either bumped loose or something. i let it idle while i was double checking everything and noticed hearing a faint swooshing of air. so i listened carefully and tracked it down to a little vacuum line that somehow became disconnected. idles nice now, we'll see if my other idling issues cleared up as well.

Back