• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control wont set, and tps code

99blacksport

NAXJA Forum User
PLEASE READ WHOLE POST BEFORE REPLYING

i have a 1999 cherokee sport 4.0l automatic, that DID NOT come factory with cruise control but i swapped it over from a wreck as it is very easy, all i needed was a clock spring, servo with cable, and steering wheel buttons. the cruise worked wonderfully without any problems for 1000ish km's and many a few long highway trips, until a couple weeks ago when i stopped working almost completely. My symptoms:

-the cruise light on the dash COMES ON
-but i cannot set my speed (although while repeatedly pushing button over and over i have gotten it to work maybe 5 times outta the last 250 pushes.....)
-when I DO actually get my speed set the accel/cancel/cruise buttons work, then when i tap the brakes and try to resume with the resume button it wont

heres what i know so far:
-no vacuum leaks
-not the servo/cable as i swapped it with another one i had
-the buttons are the correct 99-01 buttons as they used to work
-the buttons seem clean to me
-not the brake lamp switch as its adjusted properly and i can pull back on the pedal while driving and it still wont set

BUT also just today the jeep threw a P0123 tps "voltage to high" code, which i would never have connected to the crusier problem except for that they both deal with throttle, yet i dont think they "speak" to eachother. BUT i have searched a bit and found that by chance a broken clock spring can throw a tps code due to a short, which if thats true maybe my clock spring is the reason my cruise isnt working.

i would really love to get this fixed as i drive alot of highway with this thing. any input is apprectiated

thanks a bunch,
kyle

Multiple pushes on the switch seems suspicious. In order of cheapest/easiest solutions.

Another set of steering wheel switches would be cheap.

Test the TPS or simply replace it with a genuine JEEP TPS. TPS failure is common.

Then you are left with the clock spring.

P0123 JEEP - Throttle Position Sensor/Accelerator Position Pedal Circuit High Input

Symptoms- Check Engine Light ON

Possible causes
- Throttle position sensor harness is open or shorted
- Throttle position sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty throttle position sensor
- Faulty Powertrian Control Module (PCM)

When is the code detected?
The P0123 code will set if the monitored TPS volts rise above 4.94 volts for the peroid of 0.48 seconds.

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Powertrian Control Module (PCM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the PCM.

Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the PCM receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.

i already know that haha but thank you for taking the time to look, the cruise is the big issue here, i think i'm just gonna bite the bullet and get a clock spring, which to get? napa ones any good? they $200 cheaper than mopar ones

Back