• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum ball replacement.

1991Jeep_Man

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question for ya'll regarding my '91 XJ. After tracing, retracing, and tracing yet again, I am 99% my vacuum ball is cracked and leaking. So, rather than scrounge the junkyard for another hideous ball, I was considering making my own. Except, rather than another ball, I would use PVC pipe, end caps, cement, and a fitting to make a vacuum cylinder that would more easily sit along the inside of the engine bay. Does this sound like it would work? From the looks of it, there is no valve or anything on the ball, just the fitting. Then the hose just runs straight up and t's off where the cruise control servo is and where the HVAC controls are. What do ya'll think?

What about using a vacuum ball from an other type of vehicles ? I know the vacuum ball on a isuzu rodeo is twice as big (longer) and made from steel.

What about using a vacuum ball from an other type of vehicles ? I know the vacuum ball on a isuzu rodeo is twice as big (longer) and made from steel.

The only issue with that is our 'local' scrap yard is horrible, with a-hole employees and overpriced junk. For the hell of it, I called asking for a stock Jeep ball. "I'll let it go fer $50". I don't even WANT to wonder what he'd say about one twice as big made of steel. That's why I figured I'd go with the PVC setup.

ive heard people have had good luck simply plugging off the vacuum line and deleting the ball. there is also the option of getting a ball from a later style cherokee, its smaller. me, i moved mine into the engine compartment.

ive heard people have had good luck simply plugging off the vacuum line and deleting the ball. there is also the option of getting a ball from a later style cherokee, its smaller. me, i moved mine into the engine compartment.

I can't plug it, because currently I still have my CAD and I like to use my HCAV system, plus I still want to have the cruise control for when I do my engine swap later down the road. And since the junkyard is being ignorant and I don't even want to know how much a new ball is, is it possible to just make my own?

Well, I don't have a straight answer for you, but doing it out of PVC seems to be a cheap and quick option. If it doesn't do anything irreversible to the hoses, I say go for it and report back on your success. If it doesn't work, you can always go find another ball!

Well, I don't have a straight answer for you, but doing it out of PVC seems to be a cheap and quick option. If it doesn't do anything irreversible to the hoses, I say go for it and report back on your success. If it doesn't work, you can always go find another ball!

Lol, I'll be the guinea pig :thumbup:

Irregardless of whether or not I break any lines, I was going to replace them at least up to the first t-connector due to their age. I'll be sure to report back on the results!

There has to be a check valve in the circuit somewhere. In the early models the valves were an integral part in each of the two "soupcan" reservoirs. I'm not sure how this is handled in later models with the tanks behind the bumper.

There has to be a check valve in the circuit somewhere. In the early models the valves were an integral part in each of the two "soupcan" reservoirs. I'm not sure how this is handled in later models with the tanks behind the bumper.

IIRC, the fitting that goes onto the intake manifold port has a built in check valve. Per a diagram I found:

vacuum_diagram.JPG

There is certainly no reason you shouldn't be able to make one for a couple of bucks or less to fit where ever you want to put it. If it turns out that you need a separate check valve, it would take all of ~30 seconds to insert one in the vacuum line.

wow... $8 + $11 is like.... $19 dollars? are you guys really that broke?

YEAH DUDE, they charge for shipping... and that costs extra...

wow... $8 + $11 is like.... $19 dollars? are you guys really that broke?

YEAH DUDE, they charge for shipping... and that costs extra...

While you sit there and re-read your response, take a second off of your high horse and keep in mind that yeah some people, including myself, have really tight budgets. Thanks for being an ass.

Just a thought that my friend and I were knocking around when we had to replace one of ours.....What if you used the copper float ball from a toilet tank. They cost a couple of bucks and it would be freakin hilarious!

Back