• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrade your Wheel studs, Lugs and Hub-centric rings!!!

Heartless

NAXJA Forum User
Fellas,

I have read through a bunch of the forums i am on and there seems to be very little on this topic; Replacing your wheel studs and the interface with your wheels. I have posted this in some other forums but I think it probably best belongs on Expo. First some background on my story.

I was recently on an adventure involving a few Jeeps; including my XJ, and a few rough trails and a whole lot of camping. It wasn't too far in the backcountry, but it was remote. We were working our way through a canyon, one that was once a good size river that was now a hydro electric project. The area was great off-roading, and really not all that challenging, a few river crossings, a few boulders to negotiate. Nothing big! That was until my wheel busted off!!!

So this was a shocker, but i have had this happen before, and yes I thought I had learned my lesson. I always torque my lugs before I go out, along with a grocery list of other pre-trip checks.

So since we didn’t have a lot of time left in the day, my friends and I sprung into action. Pulled down the high-lift, jacked up the Jeep, checked the wheel and it looked fine. Searched and luckily located all but one of the lug nuts on the trail. I brought spare lug nuts, and used them just in case the old ones had stripped. We got it all sewn up, even my Bushwacker flare which had popped off, and we were on the road. I re-torqued all the other wheels and thought maybe it had just vibrated loose.

So we get continue about 2 Kilometers (1 mile) down this trail. Had a few more river crossings and a few more obstacles, when BOOM! The same wheel comes off. This time there are no more spare lugs because they are in either a river, or back down the trail and who knows where...

So this has my brain in a twist, we again jack up the Jeep and this time I grab a F%*&$ OFF! rock and smash the wheel studs out. The rationale is that they are the obvious the weak link, but the question is why is this happening? We decide to leave the XJ in the Canyon over night, go to a service station in the next major town and come back with new studs. This did take a bit of work to get the studs back in and seated without airtools but we were able to limp it out to the highway by re-checking torque every so often. I flat decked the Jeep back home but I think there are some lessons to be learned, so I will pass them on.

1. Stock Wheel Studs are weak and likely stretched or deteriorated.
Dont let this happen to you!! You could be stranded as hell. To upgrade your wheel studs to 190,000psi Moroso or similar Wheel studs and open ended lug nuts will cost you less than $100. They are above Grade 8 and when you put the studs in, they will guarantee security. If you need to use garbage GORILLA spline drive lug nuts so your wheels dont get jacked, you can use them as an addition to the open ended lugs and it will be both secure and safe at the huge shockload values. Almost like a lock nut action only using two lugs. I'm probably not the first to think of this but in case you like a little extra security do this small upgrade which will take all of 45 mins to do.
I believe the studs we used were 5/8" they had a better Knurl and had a way better purchase on the axle, also the "dog ends" are a nice way to prevent cross thread and wear. We had to "Clean out" the hole a slight bit to get them to take. I was originally looking at the ARP studs but they seemed a little too big.

2. Shiny Lug nuts but are they strong?

Im still searching for various high quality lug nuts, but I settled with NAPA cone lug nuts for now; which are also above grade 8 rating. Additionally I will use the Gorilla spline drive lug nuts replaced by the store and re-use merely as shiny decoration and security from thieves. The difference is the new ones will have to also have to be open ended. I highly suggest you use steel as oppose to the Aluminum ones. Durability and strength are higher in the Steel ones.

3. Wheels fit or universal?

The wheels I am running are Ultra Wheels Baja Champion, and can hopefully be repaired (although only used as a spare in the future). Most aftermarket wheels are made with a larger centerbore to accommodate a wide range of vehicles; also known as lug-centric wheels. Stock wheels fit the hub with an exact fit centerbore; these are known as hub-centric wheels. My XJ has a 71.5mm centerbore and the wheels have 83mm centerbore.

4. Hub-centric Rings (Hub rings) for perfect fit.

Hub-centric rings will fit over the hub to adapt the centerbore to the wheel. Most are made of plastic, but you can find some made of aluminum or other metals. The idea is not to carry the weight but to center the wheel perfectly to the hub. This will eliminate vibration or an un-centered wheel on installation. Here are some examples:

hub_rings.html

Like all of you, my purpose built XJ is made for Overlanding, with that the stresses are increased. It has a huge ARB bumper at 150lbs, Warn XD9000 winch add 75lbs, 5- 33" tires at 50lbs each, a rack with 3 cases full of gear on the Defender rack and you can add at least 300lbs, it has a tire carrier with one of the wheels and two 20L Scepter gerry cans. Add on a Long arm kit and some armor, inside I run a 20L water carrier, Thermoelectric fridge, Cooler, slide out kitchen and all loaded with camping gear, chain saws, chains, fluids, tools, snatch blocks, passengers etc etc. All in all Off-roading/ Overlanding adds a lot more weight than a stock vehicle as a result the stresses increase equally.

To my surprise this issue is overlooked on most forums considering how much we all overbuild every other little thing on our jeeps and Overlander rigs. I never really thought it was an issue either. The studs that are stock are weak and are meant for stock use, the replacements are often just as weak. Just ask what grade of bolt they are and you would be surprised how many say they dont know, or have no rating or guarantee at all. The high quality ones like ARP, or Moroso do. One bit of advice i might give is to stay away from Aluminum. The lug nuts i had were Gorilla brand which are not much different from most, but add to a weak system. Gorilla provides no rating on their lug nuts at all, but they sure look shiny and do provide security from theft. I have had my Jeep to a few tire shops over the years and no mention was made to upgrading the wheel studs, hub-centric rings or lug nuts.

I looked on all kinds of forums and the only mention of upgrade was on NAXJA Jeepspeed forum. I choose to upgrade and if you plan on wheeling hard its a pretty cheap piece of security. I say overbuild whenever you can especially when its cheap to do so.
Please feel free to input anything on this topic. It is not meant to scare you, but if you have a Jeep Cherokee as old as mine (1999), or other similar Overland rig it might be a good idea to look into.

Interesting post.

I guess my questions are:

What the torque spec he is using on his lugs?
Is he running a spacer?

I've had nuts loosen, but never break off, and certainly not anything as catastrophic as described. That happened BTW because I didn't retorque after a few miles.

I use lug centric wheels made to fit a Ford or Jeep and are the OEM style that takes a standard acorn nut as opposed to universal sleeve nut with a washer that you see a lot of older universal fit wheels have. That makes them center just fine, so no fancy adapter needed. If you have a universal fit wheel that fits any pattern, I could see the need for an adapter to center the wheel.

I also won't even consider running a spacer because of the added leverage.

Ideally, with a nut and stud, there should be an amount of threads equal to one nut height exposed. This is hard to gauge with a caped nut. Just make sure you have more than 6-8 threads in the nut.

Aluminum lugs nuts? Really? I have never even heard of such a thing? Who in their right mind would rely on aluminum to hold on a wheel? What would you even torque it to?

-Ron

If you use the correct style log nuts for your rims, properly torque your lug nuts, and replace the lug studs if you notice any damage or have problems freely spinning the lug nuts on, you won't have any failures. Yes, different type of rims use different types of lug nuts, and if you are using closed end lug nuts you need to make sure they do not bottom out on the end of the lug stud before they achieve proper torque. Also, excessive torque on the lug nuts can stretch the lug studs, leading to lug stud failure.

I find it hard to believe that your lug nuts/lug studs simply failed. One might more correctly assume that neglect, improper torque, or unnoticed damage was the true cause of the problem.

If you carefully mount your generic rims, and torque to final tightness in stages, hub centric rims (or adapters) are not necessary.

If you use the correct style log nuts for your rims, properly torque your lug nuts, and replace the lug studs if you notice any damage or have problems freely spinning the lug nuts on, you won't have any failures. Yes, different type of rims use different types of lug nuts, and if you are using closed end lug nuts you need to make sure they do not bottom out on the end of the lug stud before they achieve proper torque. Also, excessive torque on the lug nuts can stretch the lug studs, leading to lug stud failure.

I find it hard to believe that your lug nuts/lug studs simply failed. One might more correctly assume that neglect, improper torque, or unnoticed damage was the true cause of the problem.

If you carefully mount your generic rims, and torque to final tightness in stages, hub centric rims (or adapters) are not necessary.

I would have to respectfully disagree. Everything you listed was assesed, torque, 60 degrees conical lugs matched to the wheels.

The simple fact im trying to communicate is that there is a better option than stock hardware. The Wheel studs/ lugs may have been stretched, worn, or deteriorated and those are upgradeable to far above stock specs. Why chance it?

As for hubcentric rings you are right you dont need it. In fact you dont need a lot of things on your Jeep. Armor, winch, lift, lights, snorkel or a lot of things; but it sure is nice to roll with those things, and when you have those items you are thankful.

The hubcentric ring is not as important obviously, they will help you get a true balanced wheel. Im sorry but centering the wheel exactly to the hub without them would be close to impossible unless you have hubcentric wheels. What usually happens is they get installed hanging off the stud, and get mounted in that location, the studs end up looking curved, because they were all put on out of center. The plastic rings will help get the right positioning, and the metal ones should do the same job only last longer.

Ask someone who knows, they will either say, Its a good idea, or they will scoff at you and say you dont need it. If they say you dont need it, ask them what you really need on your jeep and see if you still agree with them.

I just find it rather odd that you have had several episodes of this wheel falling off thing. It might lead one to believe that there is some operator error involved. You never did mention the actual cause.

I have been to Moab 4 times with NAXJA, with anywhere from 75-150 XJ's 4-wheeling for 5 days straight. Nobody, to my knowledge, has had a wheel fall off. My local Jeep club has 18 XJ's and TJ's and no run-away rims. My generic Cragar steel rims center up nicely and drive smoothly the 1280 miles each way, to and from Moab.

I suppose people should read this thread and then decide for themselves if they have any lug stud/lug nut issues that need addressing. Upgrading parts that have proven to be be deficient (for example the D35) is wise, but I haven't experienced or seen the same problems you seem to be having with lug nuts/studs.

why chance driving a 20 year old jeep period? get a brand new car, accidents never happen on new cars....

i think your over hyping this. the xj has been around for 20 plus years now, if what you are saying is true, more people would have had problems. which they havent.

i dont even torque lug nuts with a wrench, i use the squat and dont poop method with a 4-way. i have never had 1 lug nut come loose, strip, break, or ANYTHING. tens of thousands of miles, --many offroad at speed-- dissagree with you as well.

if you want to be anal about your lug nut torques, have fun with that. im being realistic, this isnt the space shuttle.

So were the holes in the hub wallowed out or something? I'm not saying you can't have had a random failure three times on the same wheel, but it's hard to believe this didn't happen without some serious damage or wear going unnoticed.

If it's an upgrade and works well for you, good. It's got to suck to have your own wheel pass you on the trail.

I posted the info on hub centering rings that you're recycling from JeepForum.
Note that I said recycling and not plagiarizing...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/replace-your-wheel-studs-1267777/

I put it there, because it was the only other thing to say, among a bunch of other good info.
Now here's the problem, You present it like wheels are falling off everywhere without them, that's not the case.

You've done all this "work" into putting out this announcement, and haven't even touched the fact that there's 2 different lug stud lengths, and, with that overlooked, you're possibly using the wrong one.

SO. A for effort, I appreciate the good intention, but your information is hardly all inclusive.

Id like to add a note that nothing should be applied to the studs or nuts. Any type of liquid, grease or anti-sieze will give MAJORLY incorrect torque readings and WILL result in lugnuts backing off.

And i agree with everyone else, if it came off twice...there has to be some sort of user error.....wheels just dont come off...especially after being "correctly torqued"

Last edited:
You mentioned the Jeepspeed forum and I will pass along my experiences.

Racing Jeepspeed, the wheels see a lot of side load. I have broken rear half inch wheel studs before.

A common upgrade is Ford superduty or Dodge 3/4 ton wheel studs. I believe they are 14 mm (about 9/16) and are better than a lot of aftermarket studs. I always ran American Racing Outlaw 2 wheels, but I think the larger studs may clear factory wheels as well.

I have had a rim shake all but one lug nut but after closer inspection of the lug nuts I found on the trail they were sad. If you had the stock lugs/lug nuts I would wager a guess a few people have take them on and off with an impact cranking them down with a big impact can destroy lugs and lugnuts. Mine was just the lug nuts and I haven't had a problem since. I have run ranger rims bored out for the hub, expo rims bored out, tj rims, 3 sets of xj rims and some mt classic locks. I have had one shake off and I bet it was my fault. No damage was done and haven't had any major issues like yours since.

As for the guy saying you need an entire lugs worth of threads past the lug thats wrong at least in the aircraft world. A minimum of 2-3 thread protruding is whats recommended by everything i have read. while an entire lugs worth would be bad its definitely not required.

Last edited:
I've never had a wheel fall off... all the way. Only time I had one come loose was because some dirt got between the brake drum and the wheel flange, and crushed/worked its way out before I stopped to retorque.

I've also never used non-stock studs and my lug nuts are cheap ones off summit racing. No hub centric adapter. Never used a torque wrench either, I just put them on and crank them down to 'good-n-tight' using the 1-3-5-2-4 star pattern, then retorque in about 50-100 miles.

Back