• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Michelin worth it?

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
On my stock suspension 1993 I'm gonna need new tires before winter. The Goodyear's aren't worn out I just hate them with a passion. The debate is between the Firestone Destination AT and the Michelin LTX AT/2. I don't offroad with this Jeep. About as bad as it gets is Kansas winters with plentiful ice and farm roads with a decent amount of mud and sharp rocks. Has anybody had any good or bad experiences with these tires especially in moderate mud and deep snow and ice?

Well I have been seeing some bad snow performance reviews on the Michelins on consumer reporting websites...snow performance would be a major concern

I have been running the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor on both of our XJ's. Pleased with performance in snow and ice.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are great in the snow and ice. If Goodyear is out of the question I have the LTX's on my work truck and they seem ok on road but are horrible in mud of any sort.

I'm on my second set of Firestone Destination ATs and they are great here in sunny Southern Calif. but when we went to Yosemite in winter they were sketchy on ice. I was glad I had the chains.

2 wheel drive, manual trans, PowerTrax locker.

Mike

I've had Michelin LTX's on two Cherokees. Gotta say it's a great tire. Good wear and very good mileage. Even in OH we don't see as much snow as the Upper Midwest so I'd say that they're just fine for snow. If you want to go through snow-covered trails, then you might need a more aggressive tire. But year-round, they're great.

In my opinion Michelin makes the best tires available today. If price was no object I would go Michelin.
Firestone makes a very good tire, for the price they are hard to beat.

I had Michelins on my XJ when I bought it. Thought they were crap. I replaced them with Firestone Destination ATs. Have the Destinations on all 3 Jeeps...my WJ is on the second set of them.

In my opinion Michelin makes the best tires available today. If price was no object I would go Michelin.
Firestone makes a very good tire, for the price they are hard to beat.

and they are available at COSTCO.

I am running duratracs and they are outstanding in the snow.
They also have the "rim guard" on them.
Been on a couple of trails with great results. And no chunking.

Currently I have the Goodyear RT/S as kind of a place holder until I put something decent in there. Goodyear in the past for me has been a disappointment in the durability and toughness factor but that has been a few years...

I will take a pic and send it to you once I find my reciept from Discount.

Who needs durability when you can get certs from them?:dunno:

Those Michelins are a damn fine tire. Were I looking for a set of OE size tires for my jeep I wouldn't hesitate on buying them. Yeah they're a little more money but I never had a more sure footed street-ish tire in the ice and snow of WV before. I also like the BFG A/T but if you're not looking for that much tire then the Michelins are probably the best out there. And you should be able to expect more than 60K miles easy on a set.

a few years ago my wife and i got caught in a winter storm between wichita and KC. I was driving a stock cherokee with michelin LTX tires on it. It was the worst winter driving experience i had in a jeep. I drove my lifted xj 210K miles through midwest winters while it was still stock on various tires and never had an experience where i felt out of control. I took the michelins off my 2nd jeep and replaced with a bridgestone AT which is similar to the firestone before we headed back home.

I had Michelins on my ford ranger. Pretty good tire I have to say. They lasted forever.
Had the Destinations on my Chevy Blazer (S-10) and they were good. They lasted forever too.

These are 31s that have about 14k on them.
I also have a powertrax no slip in the rear and a moderately heavy foot.

IMAG0357.jpg

If I had to guess... I might get 35-40k out of them.

Back