• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are all headliners created equal?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, just like the topic says. Are all headliners created equal? Well the headliner out of say a 95 or 96 fit in a 99? The fabric has fallen down in my 99, and the foam that holds the shape is broken on one side. If I head out to my local pull apart, do I need to look for a 97 and later? Or will any year fit? Thanks everybody for all your help!

Any year should do.

There are variables like sound bars, in roof speakers, overhead console etc. Otherwise you're good.

Thanks paradise! I have a line on a 96, all the headliner looks the same just wanted to make sure it would fit.

The cut-outs for the dome lights and security module are different.

Like I said...variables. The curvature and shape is the same.

Maybe basically,but there are alot more differences.Bottom line is that it wont interchange.

I wouldn't bother changing it out from another xj, it'll inevitably fall sooner than later, imho. I would just pull yours and recover it..... It's really simple.

Break for the headliners is 98 or 99; my 97 had the old dome/cargo lights, and the separate sound bar. You'll need everything from the donor (headliner, both lights, sound bar, all hardware, brackets, etc), and might have to swap a couple of wires as well. I'd try for a same/later year donor; it will be easier.

Or, see if you can repair the backing board, and then reupholster it.

Last edited:
It would be easier and cheaper just to recover it. My dad does upholstry and I have to say that headliners are one of the simplest/easiest things to recover(especially in a jeep). Its a little more difficult in small cars but jeeps are easy.

These...all true. You can reinforce corners and whole sides with tape e.g.

Once you get the board out and remove the old headliner adhesive/foam you'll see the places that need attention. Fixing may just be a matter of duct tape and finesse.

Putting the actual headliner fabric on is a piece of cake.

The early Renix are definately different in length from the late models.

Back