• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth Fixing Front End

1993country

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 1993 XJ country 5spd manual. The jeep has 170K miles on it and it runs perfect. Engine and transmission run 100%. I was having issues with front end death wobble. I brought it to my mechanic and he said the front axel housings are rotted out and the jeep needs a whole new front end. He quoted me at $1000 for a used front end and labor. I was just wondering if I have any other options besides replacing the entire front end. I dont feel it is worth a $1000 investment, but I dont think the jeep is ready to junk just yet. Body is rough, but not much rust, just rocker panel rust. Frame, body and drivetrain seem very strong so I dont want to junk it. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

Go to the junk yard, pull a complete front axle for a couple hundred dollars and replace it yourself!

I think that is a little above my skill set. Also I was quoted at 400-700 for a used front end from a local junkyard (thats them pulling the part). I dont know if this is something a welder could repair?? Instead of replacing entire front end.

Is your jeep stock? Stock suspension and tires?
I've had issues with death wobble because of worn or cupped tires.
New tire => issue gone.
It would be a big help is you described and modifications you have done
on the rig.

Are they really rotted? For $1000, I'd buy a used axle, new control arms, track bar, sway bar links, bushings, tools, beers, bandaids, bribe my wrenching buddy, and pocket the rest.

When did all this start? After the new tires or before?

I'd look at the following:

=> Tie rod/drag link ends for excessive play.
=> Check the steering knucles for play as well.
=> I'd look at the control arm bushings too.

If your determined to change out the axle, I think you may be able to find
one on this forum for not much more than $300. The seller may even
help you install it for alot less than $1000 total.

WHAT Hubs SAID:yelclap:

Yes they are rotted pretty bad. Mechanic said it will eventually break and I will not be able to steer. I think its something I should fix or sell jeep as is or part it out. i love the jeep and dont want to part with it but I only paid $1000 for the jeep so I dont see the value it putting that into it...

When did all this start? After the new tires or before?

I'd look at the following:

=> Tie rod/drag link ends for excessive play.
=> Check the steering knucles for play as well.
=> I'd look at the control arm bushings too.

If your determined to change out the axle, I think you may be able to find
one on this forum for not much more than $300. The seller may even
help you install it for alot less than $1000 total.

WHAT Hubs SAID:yelclap:

Thanks for the help. Even if the tires are the cause of the wobble I think replacing the rotted axle if a safety measure worth taking. i will search for around for a used axle. Thanks.

I have never seen a jeep front axle rot out, even on the most miserable rustbuckets, including the two I have now, one of which has been retired owing to rust. My son had to ditch his 96 in part because of structural rust (afraid he'd lose the rear axle). but there was nothing wrong with the front axle. I really wonder about the diagnosis here. I'd get a second opinion. Of course anything is possible, but if the mechanic is telling the truth, it's a very rare thing.

If there really is a structural rust issue with this axle, I'd second the advice to seek out another whole axle, even a whole vehicle. I see beater XJ's of that vintage up here in Vermont that you could probably drive home for less than that. I think my son listed his for not much more than that, and it had good tires.

Can you shoot us a picture or 2. The front axle is held in with less than 30 bolts Thats wheels,brakes.steering drive shaft ect. Not a hard job. Find a small local guy to do it ALOT cheaper.
Ron

You should also get another estimate and have him tell you what exactly needs to be replaced. "The axle is rotting out" doesn't tell anyone much and unless it sat in a pool full of acid I doubt it needs a completly new front end. Didn't the mechanic give you some paperwork that says what needs to be replaced?

I doubt the axle itself is rotted, pics would mean alot here

Better find another mechanic and get an accurate diagnosis. The body would be rotted away before the axle would rot out.

Sounds like a mechanic is taking you for a ride. Go find someone honest. Probably could get a member locally from this forum to help you for very little money and have your frone end fixed in a day.

Go to a junkyard and pull a front axle. At the junkyard around me, you can have a Dana 30 that you pull yourself for about 50 bucks. If you dont want to pull it, you can pay a yard guy $20 to torch it out.

Spend a couple hours, pull that axle, and install it yourself. You really dont need any crazy tools...just some time, determination, and plenty of beer!

Go to a junkyard and pull a front axle. At the junkyard around me, you can have a Dana 30 that you pull yourself for about 50 bucks. If you dont want to pull it, you can pay a yard guy $20 to torch it out.

Spend a couple hours, pull that axle, and install it yourself. You really dont need any crazy tools...just some time, determination, and plenty of beer!
Note that the OP has a 5-speed. It might not be quite as easy to find one of these, and if he has to regear the job becomes a bit bigger. But certainly if one can be found it would be a pretty simple solution. I wish there were pick and pull yards around here.

I still say there's something fishy about the diagnosis in the first place.

Thats when you get a front and rear out of an auto and it will give the 5 spd some more balls I do axle swaps alot because I bend them and dont have the skills or tools to fab up strong stuff.
That's a good point, at least if you're off roading. The standard setup with the 5 speed is OK on the highway, but unpleasantly tall on the trail. I don't wheel hard at all, but when I'm off the road I almost always find myself going into low range.

Back