• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets Play: "What is this, and what does it do?"

UPNOVR

NAXJA Forum User
I took out my headliner the other day to run my CB Wires and to redo the liner cover itself and found this mysterious wire. Any idea what it is or what is is for?

Top of Jeep
IMG_1260.jpg

Inside
IMG_1262.jpg

Underneath this:
IMG_1263.jpg

There is a missing cover on that last piece I know as my buddies Jeep has this piece. Neither one of us can figure it out.

was it an old police/govt jeep?

if no then it's DEFINATLY the flux capacitor

The roof mount and cable is for a business band FM communications radio.

The plastic doohickey is your factory installed key less remote entry module.

The roof mount and cable is for a business band FM communications radio.

The plastic doohickey is your factory installed key less remote entry module.

Thanks Tim that is exactly what I needed to know. This is very helpful on deciding on wether to keep them or not.

How old is your XJ? In the early (1990's) days of cellular they used a roof top antenna that looked just like that. In addition, many police and emergancy vehicles also uses the same type of antenna mount with the whip tuned for the frequency they use. The entire metal roof was used as a ground plane that help to increase the receive signal strength. Your XJ is missing the antenna whip.

How old is your XJ? In the early (1990's) days of cellular they used a roof top antenna that looked just like that. In addition, many police and emergancy vehicles also uses the same type of antenna mount with the whip tuned for the frequency they use. The entire metal roof was used as a ground plane that help to increase the receive signal strength. Your XJ is missing the antenna whip.

It's an 87. Not sure of the history as to if it was law enforcement, government or not, but what you are describing was my first hunch. If it is an antenna, whatever it was for, is no longer. Since I don't need it, I wanted a second or third opinion as to what it was before I remove it.

It's an 87. Not sure of the history as to if it was law enforcement, government or not, but what you are describing was my first hunch. If it is an antenna, whatever it was for, is no longer. Since I don't need it, I wanted a second or third opinion as to what it was before I remove it.

If you remove it completely, you will have to fill the 3/4" hole. Or you could leave it if it is not leaking.

It's a NMO antenna mount used, as said before, for business band radios as well as Ham and CB antennas. My XJ has one for a 2M/ 70CM amateur radio.

http://www.larsen-antennas.com/docfiles/ASB9/SalesSheets/NMOHFMounts.pdf
http://www.wearecb.com/store/larsen-nmo1290-12-mhz-antenna-nmo-series-p-3293.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157622095993436/

Yup!!

I have my Ham and CB antennas both on NMO mounts, I like them a lot better than mag mounts as they wont fall off when you hit a tree.

Back