• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box bolt size & thread pitch??

s14unimog

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched through enough threads with no avail. Does anyone know the standard bolt size, thread pitch and length for a 97 (I assume they're all the same) standard steering box? I need to get some extended ones from Fastenal this afternoon and can't seem to find the answer.

I did find one post on here where a guy said 7/16-14UNC x 4.0"LG

Can anyone confirm this?

definitely the right thread, I seem to recall 4 or 4.5 inches. If I get a chance I'll measure my stock bolts tomorrow.

The only thing to make sure of is that the threads go far enough down your new bolts to fully torque them.

Make sure you add extra length if you are doing a durango box swap, adding frame stiffeners (especially 1/4 plate ones), and/or adding a bumper that captures those bolts under its bracket. As long as the shank is threaded far enough, no harm buying extra long ones so you can use them again if you end up upgrading in the future.

No worries, that's the plan. I thought I would size up appropriately for my tie-in mounts before pulling mine. Honestly I should go pull one of mine and just measure the damn bolt. I'll be sure to confirm the information once I put eyes on it.

If you don't have another vehicle to go get the bolts, I wouldn't... I've snapped a couple trying to unscrew them. They seize in there pretty good.

THAT the one thing I could find threads on... My XJ has fought me tooth and nail for every upgrade; I foresee the same issues here. Hell, every single clip nut on the front bumper bolts sheared taking them off and I couldn't keep any of the screws from the bumper ends... god damn you Chrysler.....:twak:

Thanks for the heads up.

Alright, I finally took a second to pull those bolts and luckily they came right out. It's amazing how life keeps you busy with the things you would rather not be doing. Either the case, the factory bolts for the XJ are actually

7/16-14UNC x 3.75" LG.

Although the bolt measures 4" Lg. the threads clearly stop at 3.75" and the remaining 1/4" is an undersized point for install alignment. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Yeah, without the threadless point on the bolts it can be pretty fun aligning the box and the bolts. I did it by bear-hugging the fender wall with the box in my left hand and the bolt in my right. Might not be possible if you haven't cut your fenders.

I think next time I may put them in my drill press and use it as a sort of ghetto lathe while using my angle grinder to take the threads off the tip of the bolt.

Whole job is a LOT easier with the airbox out, it's 3 13mm hex bolts/nuts so takes very little time to remove.

Wow, you just saved me so much time! I've been fabricating my own bumper and I need longer bolts and I really do not want to remove those bolts again. Thank you for the post

-Aaron

Back