• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman Arm, Raised

Missiletech

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a dropped TB Bracket (primarily to move the bar forward) and a U-turn steering setup with a previously installed serious drop pitman arm. I don't get bumpsteer but I the steering doesn't quite feel right.

Looking at the angles the TB is lower on the axle side but same height on the frame side. The TB is using the stock mounting location with a RE HD bracket and an adjustable TB.

My theory is that increasing the height of the draglink on the axle side by removing the drop pitman arm would correct the angle. I won't be moving the TB above the axle and this requires the least amount of modification and avoids fabrication.

Thank you for reading and appreciate any commentary.

-Steve

Just got home from deployment and subsequent vacation so I haven't been able to move the jeep since diagnosing in March. I'll have to take it for a spin to recount the feeling of steering it. Here are some photos I ran out and took today.

jeep008.jpg

jeep007.jpg

jeep006.jpg

jeep005.jpg

jeep004.jpg

the angles need to be parallel, but also, the more horizontal they are the better from what i understand. OTA track bar mount is what you want to do it "right". im probably mistaken, but i think the waggy pitman arms gives you less drop.

are those wooden bump stops?

I agree with all.

Yes they are wooden, I bought the jeep from someone who had done the majority of any mods you see here. This was a replacement for my wrecked jeep project.

EDIT: I'm also going over the ORO U-TURN instructions that state specifically to use stock pitman arms.

I have the U-turn steering with a TJ pitman arm and a JKS track bar is just about parallel with the drag link. The TJ pittman arm has about 1" less drop than a stock XJ arm, I'm at 4" of lift. With the track bar mount that you have it looks like you will need a pittman arm with even less drop, I think the waggy arm is close to straight.

~Alex

The Full Size Waggy's Pitman is, as I remember it, dead flat. TJ would be better but take measurements before you spend the bucks.

Parallel is the goal... But don't count on getting it. All of the mounting points would need to be in the same plane and just is not going to happen. So anything reasonably close is a wonderful compromise.

LoL. This jeeps sole purpose is to take the family through the woods primarily in Tahuya. Just have to get some kinks sorted out before she's road worthy to get back forth from there.

Back