• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf springs and rear ends

wadellis

NAXJA Forum User
i searched beforehand but here goes. i have a 98 with a 8.25 rear end and a 99 parts jeep with a d35 and rustys leaf springs. i was planning on just throwing it all on my 98 this weekend but after more reading i think there is a difference but im not sure can anyone help me out? is there any way to get these leaf springs to mount onto my 8.25?

am i missing something? it should bolt up with the 8.25's ubolts (or you could replace them). ubolt spring plates should be interchangeable (slotted holes)

U-bolts usually stretch over time. So new u-bolts and nuts/washers are good insurance.

you may also want to read up on bastard pack building = adding some leafs from the old pack to the new one. while youre at it it may be worth adding an inch or so of lift.

ive seen about building a bastard pack using stock leafs and s10 eye leafs but which should i use on top of my rustys leaf springs? and wouldnt it make it stiffer with each additional leaf?

You can use any of your leafs (eyes cut off main of course), to combine with the rustys leafs. The ride CAN become stuffer, but really depends on the springs. A single spare xj main usually nets an additional 1.5" or so. keep that in mind. You can also go with the HDOffroad shackle relocation brackets.

its a good idea to use new U-bolts, but many have re-used them, myself included. The D35 and 8.25 have different tube diameters, so the U-bolts are not interchangeable betweent the two axles. As mentioned above, the spring plates should be slotted to fit either axle U-bolt (early XJ's spring plates have holes spaced only for D35)

its a good idea to use new U-bolts, but many have re-used them, myself included. The D35 and 8.25 have different tube diameters, so the U-bolts are not interchangeable betweent the two axles. As mentioned above, the spring plates should be slotted to fit either axle U-bolt (early XJ's spring plates have holes spaced only for D35)

thanks, thats the kind of answer i was looking for

also, i removed the steering stabilizer from the parts jeep (beefier=better right?) and today when i went to swap it out with the stocker on my jeep i seemed to have lost the tapered bolt that connects it to the rod. i tried to pull the one off the stock stabilizer but its not removable. does anyone know where i can find this bolt???

thanks, thats the kind of answer i was looking for

also, i removed the steering stabilizer from the parts jeep (beefier=better right?) and today when i went to swap it out with the stocker on my jeep i seemed to have lost the tapered bolt that connects it to the rod. i tried to pull the one off the stock stabilizer but its not removable. does anyone know where i can find this bolt???
It IS removable but its a PITA. So, you removed the bolt from the draglink, but not the stabilizer itself?

yes. maybe i should tear my shop apart trying to find the one that came out of the rustys stabilizer...i was hoping someone knew where to buy one thats tapered like that.

Back