• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle modifications D30/C8.25

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
I recently picked up a 29-spline C8.25, already geared to 4.10s. One of the stock shocks mounts was broken off. So I figure, why not relocate them higher up. The brakes are decent but will most likely do a disc brake swap if I can find the parts cheap enough.
My question is, what do you recommend for mounts? Stock, relocated higher? Ruffstuff (or other) tabs?

Also, I currently have a D35 in the rear and approx 3.25" lift will the driveshaft be alright or will I need a different one?

On to the D30 non-CAD, the housing is bent but going to straighten it and have a truss welded on. Already has mini skids on the LCA mounts, considering raised TB mount and sway bar brackets. Anything else I should do with it? Also, it doesn't have knuckles on it, where is the best place to get some? The local JY's are spendy and not many around. I thought about the WJ swap, but I already have a HD tie rod with Moog TRE's and a newer decent shape drag link.

Thanks for your time.

Check out these rear shock mounts...
http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=90&gr=

I had the hardware at home, so I just copied the design and made my own brackets. If I didnt have the hardware, I would've paid the $35 they're asking.

Since you're lifted, you should be able to use your D35 driveshaft on the 8.25. I am doing hte same thing. You get into trouble when there is no lift, you risk bottoming out the drveshaft at full compression...that can turn a good t-case into scrap aluminum.

Stock mounts raised up is simple and cost effective.
Straightening a bent D30 is not. They are plentiful in virtually every JY.
This. what it would take to straighten it you could have napped one off craigslist or the JY. no sense at all in using a damaged housing.

Stock mounts raised up is simple and cost effective.

Straightening a bent D30 is not. They are plentiful in virtually every JY. start your build with a known good axle and you'll be miles and dollars ahead.
I already have someone who will straighten it for free and truss it for little money. It has basically new ball joints in it and rest is intact. But will figure out other options.

I recently picked up a 29-spline C8.25, already geared to 4.10s. One of the stock shocks mounts was broken off. So I figure, why not relocate them higher up. The brakes are decent but will most likely do a disc brake swap if I can find the parts cheap enough.
My question is, what do you recommend for mounts? Stock, relocated higher? Ruffstuff (or other) tabs?

Also, I currently have a D35 in the rear and approx 3.25" lift will the driveshaft be alright or will I need a different one?

On to the D30 non-CAD, the housing is bent but going to straighten it and have a truss welded on. Already has mini skids on the LCA mounts, considering raised TB mount and sway bar brackets. Anything else I should do with it? Also, it doesn't have knuckles on it, where is the best place to get some? The local JY's are spendy and not many around. I thought about the WJ swap, but I already have a HD tie rod with Moog TRE's and a newer decent shape drag link.

Thanks for your time.

just scooped up a D30 & 8.25 myself, & i have similar plans

for the 8.25, going with discs, not sure which is the least expensive (if there is there exists such a thing), but summit's got the tera-flex complete drum-disc kit for ~$560+ shipping... all new parts, & u dont have scour JY's, hopin & prayin... relocated shock mounts & leaf spring perches... also, some companies have lift perches

for the D30, if u do go with the WJ knuckle, u gain the option of bigger rotors, 2-piston caliper, & higher steering... u'r already going trussed, beefed up lower mounts (i like what rock krawlers' look like)... i'd add inner C gussets... i'm also looking into getting HD coil/shock mounts & rotating C's... i'd say to relocate track bar... mine's limiting passenger droop on the axle mount, so it's going over axle... not sure about sway bar, but after everything else, y not?? bunch of companies have complete HD bracket kits...

IRO Leaf Spring Perches
http://www.tntcustoms.com/axle_brackets.aspx
RuffStuff's shock brackets

...among some, if u want to save time & guarantee an upgrade

Last edited:
1/7 the cost for ZJ brakes makes looking for them worth it. It took me 6 months watching craigslist to find a set for 75$ I swapped everything including the rotors/pads/proportioning valve they looked to be in pretty good shape, figure I can always change them out later. For shock mounts I would do the go-jeep write up. You pretty much just cut them in half and welded them back on.

Heres my "built" 8.25
IMG_20110926_155613.jpg

1/7 the cost for ZJ brakes makes looking for them worth it. It took me 6 months watching craigslist to find a set for 75$ I swapped everything including the rotors/pads/proportioning valve they looked to be in pretty good shape, figure I can always change them out later. For shock mounts I would do the go-jeep write up. You pretty much just cut them in half and welded them back on.

Heres my "built" 8.25
IMG_20110926_155613.jpg

I'm guessing you cut the shock mounts and then made a circular edge on it so it fits the tube nicely? I'm looking to do this sometime down the road.

Back