• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a little problem

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ I6 4WD

I recently changed my front yokes, wheel hubs, rotors and brake calipers. Thats the good news...

...The bad news is that now my lug nuts constantly come loose. What do I do?

Thanks in advance

Boris

Are you using factory wheels?
If they are, what are you torqing the lugs to?
FSM says 100 ft-lbs.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am using factory wheels, but am not using a torque wrench. I am just using the old method of hand tightening them and then finishing the job with a lug wrench until snug.

Boris

If there is a shop near you that sells/mounts tires, like Belle Tire, see if they can tighten your lug nuts with their torque wrench. Make sure you tell them what torque you want. If, after tightening with a torque wrench they still come loose, a new set of lug nuts may be in order.

You didn't mention if you are oiling your lug threads. If you are, degreasing them before taking it to the tire shop may be a good idea.

Buy a Torque wrench. New lugs would be a good idea also.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am using factory wheels, but am not using a torque wrench. I am just using the old method of hand tightening them and then finishing the job with a lug wrench until snug.

Boris

They need to be way more than snug. Tighten them to the point you feel like your afraid you'll break the stud if you crank any harder.

How could you properly do the work described in your first post without a torque wrench?

They are not all that expensive.

HF has their 150# torque wrench on sale this week for $9.99. I carry one of these in each vehicle, with a 19mm socket and 4" extension as a lug wrench.

How could you properly do the work described in your first post without a torque wrench?

They are not all that expensive.

I used a torque wrench for everything but the lug nuts.

I think I found the culprit tho...when I bought the parts, the rotors were covered with a layer of what appeared to be very thin oil. The nuts were flying while I was tightening them by hand.

I will degrease the nuts and the bolts tomorrow, and see what happens.

Boris

P.S. The hand tighten and snug approach always worked for me, or at least after the very first time I ever tightened lug nuts...It was on my VW which was about four years old at the time. I used a lug wrench and a moderate force, but the bolt snapped...It cost me $50 to have it fixed at a repair shop. He prolly replaced the entire rotor...

Back