• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yah or Nah: White roof on green(PG8) XJ:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Did this for a customer, he had a pretty badly paint flaked and rusted roof, as well as a windshield that had been improperly installed and didn't hardly have any urethane seal along the top of the windshield frame. As a result it was rust pitted pretty badly and needed attention. The customer opted to go with a different color, so I sprayed a jeep white I had a fair bit of extra laying around of, Stone White.

296369_10100164002779103_19216998_47409079_950533994_n.jpg

Put some stripes on it and it'll look like a Mega Cooper or Ford Flex.

MIGHT help the interior stay cooler. White reflects more then the green would have.

MIGHT help the interior stay cooler. White reflects more then the green would have.

That was what the customer wanted. This is really a form follows function sort of jeep and guy, so aesthetics were lower on priorities than keeping it cool during the summer.

I plan to do the same on my MJ when I paint it, but I'm willing to sacrifice any aesthetics if it helps keep it cool.

If that's what the customer wanted then more power to them. I wouldn't do it with white but I plan on doing my roof/gutters/rockers in some sort of roll-on liner. My 94 sport is green too.

Not exactly pertinent to a street jeep, but to give an idea of the heat transfer involved:
Zoomy97acr painted the roof of his race truck red and white(something to do with an army cavalry flag) There is no headliner in the truck. Huge difference in radiant heat inside. Sitting in the sun, put your hand on the inside of the roof panel: the white portion of the roof is warm/hot to the touch, the red portion will burn you.
My XJ's already white, or I'd consider doing this myself.

Back