• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ FAN UPGRADERS...A/C question for ya...

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I never really use my Air Conditioner in my 96 XJ, except to cycle it once or twice a year.
I upgraded to a Heavy Duty ZJ fan a while back and haven't turne the A/C on since.

Unitl now I've had no need for the A/C but a week or 2 ago, It got hotter than normal (over 95, hot for Oregon lol) and I threw the A/C on.

Between the ZJ fan and it, it sounds downright psychadelic!!:spin3:

It's like 2 notes are there at rpms above 1300. I'm sure it's there lower but inaudible.
Quite harmonic actually lol.

I used to only hear the A/C slightly and can't really remember what just it sounds like.
I've gotten used to the fan's and I know one sound is it at higher rpms.

The other is a couple notes +/- the fan's and it's obviously the A/C.
I'm wondering if the sound I'm hearing is just difference between the upgraded fan's noise and the a/c's
( i.e. the stock fan's "tone" was balanced with the a/c's tone coincidentally or deliberately and now it's not)
.....causing a prety friggin cool sound
or if something is wrong with the A/C system.

Anyone?

Last edited:
The ZJ fan does make noise...not really much more than the stock fan when new...but I'm totally deaf in my left ear so I don't think I hear the whole noise. It sure moves the air though. I also have a ten blade e-fan which makes more noise than the stock 1990 fan. My Jeep is always noisy, either road noise, wind noise or my stereo is up so high that I don't hear anything but music.

Interesting that you found some harmonic quality in it...and as a child of the 60's and 70's it's "psychedelic".

The last piece of information I know for sure...duhh, huh, huh, huh, wow man!!

Wish I had a camera with a decent mic. I'd record it.
I'll see what I can come up with.
May be able to record it with the hood open and be able to hear it.

Awsome!I have been looking for an upgrade for the blower motor to actually move air through the jeep,and was just thinking about asking the question on what/if I can get more air flow out of my a/c. Thank you. Oh and By the way what year?and was it the v8 or i6 zj?

crash02, I'm not sure I have heard of an upgrade for the interior blower motor if that is what you are asking about. If you don't have good airflow on Max A/C you may have other problems.

Like everyone always tells me u can search "zj fan upgrade" and it will give u a part number.

I know about the zj fan/clutch upgrade. I thought that this was upgrading the a/c blower motor(inside).I obviously miss understood that solomon was just refering to the noise of the zj fan/clutch with the ac on.
And for you and anyone else with that "search" comment I always search the heck out of things before I ask/post. Not trying to be a dxxk just want to make it clear.

crash02, I'm not sure I have heard of an upgrade for the interior blower motor if that is what you are asking about. If you don't have good airflow on Max A/C you may have other problems.

My blower motor works ok on all speeds, I just want more air flow inside for the hot days(to keep my wife and kiddos happier). I guess I'm just used to the bigger vehicles.thank you

So, just to be clear, we're talking about the mechanical fan clutch ...right behind the radiator...under the hood...nothing to do with air flow over the people in the Jeep.

The ZJ fan clutch part number - NAPA# 272310 ZJ HD Fan Clutch. Complete EZ bolt in. DO NOT let them sell you the "Max Cool" fan clutch - it won't fit.

(Thanks joe_p)

So, just to be clear, we're talking about the mechanical fan clutch ...right behind the radiator...under the hood...nothing to do with air flow over the people in the Jeep.

The ZJ fan clutch part number - NAPA# 272310 ZJ HD Fan Clutch. Complete EZ bolt in. DO NOT let them sell you the "Max Cool" fan clutch - it won't fit.

(Thanks joe_p)

Yep.

Back