• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling 4.0 oil pan

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
any tips on removing the oil pan on a 4.0? i have al the little bolts out, and ive been whacking it with a wood hammer for a couple hours now....
the damn thing wont budge. any body have any tips to make this easier?

TIA

I used Permatex Gasket Remover, nasty stuff. Sprayed it all 'round (after whacking the bejeezus out of it) went to bed...when I came out in the morning the pan was laying on the axle.

Your results may vary

Get a thin-bladed putty knife and wedge it in (all around) the spaces between the
block-gasket-pan as best as you can - and tap it in further with a light hammer.
I know that this is easier said than done, but this will loosen the death grip that the
gasket has on the oil pan. Then hold up a block of wood against the oil pan and whack
it loose with your a hammer.

I used a putty knife similar to Dragonslayer then used a dead blow hammer (considered a bfh) and some carefully placed whacks and got it off in about 20 minutes of sweat and swearing...

thanks, ill give it another shot in the morning

damn what a b*tch. lo 2 hours with a putty knife and mini sledge. this is the 3rd 4.0 oil pan ive pulled and ive never had to use a putty knife before. damn lol

thanks everyone

I'm always amazed at how tough those pans are to remove despite them leaking so
much oil through the gasket. You would think those things would just fall off after
removing the bolts ...but no-o-o-oo!

As an alternative to the mini-wonderbar as XCM suggested, I've also used a brake
adjuster tool (GM-style; it looks like a small crowbar).

haha yes it is. id almost think that if the seal was good enough, it might even support the weight of the motor, or atleast it feels that way

also.. this is the first time ive used the 4 peice gasket, should i permatex the rubber parts of the gasket or just leave them be? maybe a little around the edges to keep the gaskets together?

I would leave the rubber natural without putting the permatex on it. Good idea to use it to hold things in place. 4 pc gaskets are a PITA. Good luck.

Back