• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The jeep just isn't grateful

mbarker9

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently come into some money and have set apon fixing the jeep. I got her new bfg ats on monday before trying to head over to alabama to pick up a regeared axle. Well 100 miles in I notice a bunch of smoke behind me and I pulled over. There was oil dripping off of 4 different locations on the underside and the smoke was from it landing on the exhaust. After further investigations I also found dirty transmission fluid under there. As the owner before me didn't know anything about cars I am assuming the trans fluid hasn't been changed in a while. Anyway, I checked the oil and only had to put a quart in here to fill her back up. I then carefully drove home while checking the oil level every 30 miles or so. I have been checking the oil every time I go anywhere now and It hasn't moved. I am wondering what what would cause oil and transmission fluid to leak a lot and then stop. I have never had any other leaking problems since I got the XJ. It is from Ohio so I don't know if that would contribute to anything.

On a side not since I lifted the jeep I have been able to feel bumps and pulls through the steering more so then one our other stock jeeps. (we have 3 XJs in the immediate family and 3 more with the other relatives.) I had to put a track bar relocation bracket on it to stop the DW and 4 wheel parts recommended a new steering stabilizer. Any ideas about anything how to stiffen up the steering or about the oil would be appreciated! Thanks

Re: The jeep just isn't greatful

!!!1Steering stabilizer will just try to hide the problem. Do a search for bumpsteer and the death wobble it has been well covered !!!1

too much oil to begin with causing overflow?

trans cooler is a terrific and simple upgrade to any auto trans.

AW4 trans? 4.0? need a little more info.

I had an 87 with renix that used to puke motor oil on the interstate. Clogged up CCV tube IIRC.

If you got larger tires than stock it is possible you overheated the tranny. When that happens, the fluid pours right on the exhaust and makes smoke.

Transmission got hot and spit fluid. Mine did that when I pulled my boat the first time. Put a tranny cooler on there and you'll be golden.

Once you regear it won't be much of an issue either.

Thanks so much for the help guys. It is a 99 with a 3.5 RE lift with 265/75/16 tires. Its an auto trans and currently has the stock gearing. I will be changing the trans fluid and seeing how things work out. Where does an engine dump oil from? I have never heard of a release valve or anything. thanks again

The transmission spit the fluid, right? When it gets hot it pushes fluid past the front pump seal and into the bell housing. If it was leaking engine oil there's another issue somewhere.

Greets.., if'in someone added too much motor oil into your 4.0.., there is a possibility that you blew oil out your crankshaft rear oil seal. Too.., it can come out the front.., but that's usually from a badly worn out seal there, as the oil slinger pre-empts early diagnosis.., until it's so shot, it becomes all to obvious. <Probably not involved though... Also some incorrectly torqued oil pan screws can allow oil to leak out between the lower engine and the pan. Thing to do is to get beneath, and clean up everything you can in order to not only to visually take a look-see, but too to have the drips actually fall down from the problem area(s), on the ground, i.e., pin-pointing the problem engine area(s). Chances are you lost that quart of oil as a consequence of too much pressure against the rear main seal, but the seal may have 'settled' back. Try watching it very carefully for awhile, i.e., check the engine oil dip stick measurements on a cold engine.., daily, before you start out. As an addendum.., lol, while you are at it make sure that your oil filter, and drain plug are both tight.

Check out posts on "Bump Steer". Also check out: http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/ They have great parts to correct some issues you may be concerned about, i.e., steering box brace, etc.

Have had a similar problem with an oil leak dripping on the exhaust header, mostly when stopping. So.. Completly washed down the trans housing, bell housing, and engine oil pan. Removed the access panel which exposes the flywheel, and drove it a couple of times. So far, still can't tell where the leak is from. Seems like it coming from inside the bell housing, between the flywheel and rear main, which would indicate a rear main seal leak, but then would expect the flywheel to be oil soaked. Will have to drive it longer distance to get the leak really going, then maybe it will be easier to find. Seems like the leak is from the trans, so the seggestions above may help locate it. Also, seems like it shown up when on the freeway. Have 31" tires, and it's been regeared for 35's, so the tre engine is spinning @ high PRM's when on the highway.

I overheated my trans 3 times on the hottest of hot summer days. It boiled the fluid up and out of the trans dipstick and that ran onto my exhaust which also caused smoke. Regeared to 4.88s and haven't had an issue. (Changed my fluid a few times as well)

Back