• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15/NP231 Issues

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I have a problem. I've got a short shaft NP231 I recently picked up. I rebuilt it, put a 2LO kit and an SYE in it. Also, I picked up two AX15s, the two transmissions are 23 spline out put shafts as is the input shaft on my 231. The issue I'm having is the AX15s (both of my AXs) output shaft bottoms out inside the 231 where the bearing is on the inside of the planetary gears.

Has anyone had this issue before? Does a short shaft 231 also have a shallow spline? When I try to mate the two together I'm about 3/8 of an inch away from being able to bolt them together. I was thinking of maybe cutting down the output shaft on the tranny seeing how the splines are still cut far enough to allow me to do that. Not sure what to think. Anyway, if anyone has had this problem your advise is welcome, THANKS.

FYI I don't have an exact year make model for the trannys or 231 seeing how they were purchased off craigslist. :anon:

Sounds like the t-case is outta an auto TJ since they had longer input shafts. Auto XJ t-cases also had longer input shafts, but I've had no problems bolting one up to my AX15.

Sounds like the t-case is outta an auto TJ since they had longer input shafts. Auto XJ t-cases also had longer input shafts, but I've had no problems bolting one up to my AX15.

i agree with foxwar or something to that extent

here is a link that you may or may not find usefull!

EDIT: also i recall reading an article about input/output shaft lengths being wrong to long/to short and some guys have just cut it down to fit correctly. not sure if it was this same kind of situation nor do i think cutting an input output shaft is a great idea its worth looking into i suppose.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

Last edited:
Back