• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241 swap

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
anyone here do a 241 swap? i just bought one out of a rubicon. from what i understand it is a complete bolt up however i will need new drive shafts....

my question is which rear output shaft option should i use... and should i keep the harmonic balancer or take it off?

thanks

nick

Did the 241 come from a tj or jk Rubicon? JK wont have a speed sensor on it. But I'm not sure if the JK 241's had harmonic balancers so i might have answered my own question. When it comes to the rear output. I've heard its better to leave the harmonic balancer on since some were pressed on incorrectly from the factory damaging the main shaft and vibes could show up if pulled off. If you are getting a new drive shaft anyway then just get one with the flange that will bolt up the the balancer. Consider this all hearsay though.

I prefer to use a normal CV yoke,thats what I did with mine.
2427825-R1-036-16A.jpg

When it comes to the rear output. I've heard its better to leave the harmonic balancer on since some were pressed on incorrectly from the factory damaging the main shaft and vibes could show up if pulled off. If you are getting a new drive shaft anyway then just get one with the flange that will bolt up the the balancer. Consider this all hearsay though.
Interesting, I have never heard that before, both the balancer being pressed on incorrectly or that people actually prefer the harmonic balancer. Everyone I know or have seen have ditched the balancer for a yoke, including the 241 I have in my Jeep.

Seiler did a good write up on installing a 241 into his Jeep.

What year is it going into?
I pulled the stock rear flange off my 2003 241OR(tossed it) and moved the front 1330 yoke to the rear. I installed a 32 spline, 1310 yoke from Tom Woods on the front output. I was able to re-use the original front driveshaft, and ordered a new rear shaft to fit the 1330 CV.

On my 98, the stock transfer case linkage worked. The stock speedo harness plugged in, but is a few mph off. The little 4wd light on the dash isn't hooked up.

Back