• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake pad OEM specs?

fairhold

NAXJA Forum User
Have a "98 XJ, 4.0, Auto tranny. It is a daily driver and do mostly city driving.

Having trouble between NAPA, O'Reilly and various web suppliers determining Oem spec/material for front brake pads. I have heard that both organic and ceramic were OEM. Can anyone give me the straight scoop on OEM pad material and give me an opinion on a possible improved pad for city driving?

Thanks

I run the ceramic pads. Be advised that (at least in my case) they take a bit of time to fully bed in. I have much better stopping power than the organics plus I figure I'll die before they wear out.

Thanks guys for your input. To clarify, my question was does anyone know the friction material supplied in the OEM front disc pad.

I understand the benefits/drawbacks of various friction materials, but again, what was supplied when the vehicle was new from the factory?

If anyone would like to weigh in on improved or different material for mostly city driving, that would be welcome.

Thanks

Just to add to O-gauge-steamer's post- I've ran organics and ceramics and the biggest difference was in how clean ceramics are, no great difference in stopping. Soooo much less break dust junk on the wheels, that alone was worth it for use on my 2001 Mustang Cobra convertable.

Back