• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Shock Set up for 5.5 long Arm lift

Thunderhead7

NAXJA Forum User
I getting ready to install the Rubicon Express 5.5 long arm lift what would be the best shock set up for this? Also will I need any shock extensions?

I will have stock mounts with Dana 30 front and a Dana 44 rear

Thanks.

96 XJ 4.0L HO, SE

Last edited:
The best shock setup is the one you measure for. Measure compressed and extended at each end.

Recommend a shock brand for the long arm suspension?

RE will tell you the expected travel for their kit, or at least will tell you the travel for the shocks that they want you to buy with their kit. Add an inch to the extended distance and subtract an inch from the compressed distance, and you should have a good starting point.

Search here and in our Jeepspeed forum for info about which shocks. Which shocks you want/need greatly depends on what you're doing with the Jeep as well. A mudder will want different shocks than a desert runner and both will differ from a rock crawler.

4 wheeling and rock crawling mostly. I'll have a lot of armor on my XJ so I want a shock that can take the beating!!

I would go with the 5160's in the fromt as you will not need the upper shock adapter, and 5125s or 50s in the rear.

Bilstein Blackhawks!

p2414n1.jpg

you guys are dumb with all your fancy shocks. these work mint and they come stock on the hatch of every cherokee

SA4287-2.jpg

Back