• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket universal electric window reglators

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
I've done some reading and found a few post on converting to electric windows, and it seems that there is some debate on whether its worth it or not. My jeep is a 2 door, so I know that finding the parts wouldn't be that easy, so im looking at a different option. A quick search of ebay turns up hundreds of universal kits, and Im wondering if anyone has used one in their jeep before. My theory is that this would allow me to keep the hand cranks in case the motor fails, but will give me the convenience of not leaning over to crank down the passenger window. I would also like to wire in a one-touch switch/ controller.
Do these kits work well? and do they last? Is one company better than another? Will I still be able to crank the windows by hand with these installed?

Im planning to gut the interior for sound deadener, WJ seats, power locks, and possibly windows, so I would prefer to do it all at once.
I can't deny that she is definitely a mall crawler, but for now her only job is to make it to Vail in the puking snow. I figure I can at least be comfortable along the way.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Lightfoot

'99, 2dr, 4.6, ax-15, np231, 4.56 d30 WJ knuckles, factory LS 8.8, 4.5" RC LA, 33's.

my experience was not good. though mine was with a 90 xj, your 99 may be different. i bought a mid level kit(can't remember brand) and everything worked pretty good for about a year, then things started getting really slow, then at two years two of the gear straps broke on the motors. eventually none of the windows rolled down at all. i ended up finding a part out with power windows/locks and swapped that it.

my advice, stay away from those universal kits.

My last 97 had power windows, this one as well and my 94 and my 86 comanche have manual windows and locks and I couldn't be happier, Chrysler power windows blow!

Back