• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dusty steam out of vents when up to temp

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
On some mornings, and only in the morning, when my 2000 4.0 aw4 XJ gets up to temp a dusty stream comes out of the vents. I'm assuming that the thermostat opens and somehow it's dirty or something overnight has condensed I in there as it never happens in the afternoon when driving around. What could be wrong?

Certainly looks like it would be. Any other signs that a heater core is going bad? Definitely want to fix that before winter.

It usually will fog up the windshield on defrost on a cooler day.
Kinda smells musty. I did one on a 2000 Durango last year and it was putting out a sort of fog with the AC running.
Also check for moisture underneth the dash on the pass. side (could be mistaken on the this I havent looked at mine that closely) after it has been runnning for a while.

It does fog the windshield a bit too now that I think about it. thanks for the help, gonna find a write up for that now.

The Durango I did was not horrible. But it took me forever to get it done. I believe of was 12 hours of getting the dash out and instead of evacuating the AC we cut the box open with a razor blade and sealed it back up. I know that it wasnt a Cherokee but from what I have read its about the same on the 97 and newer models.

Back