• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior swap!

I posted this on cherokeeforum, and I figured I'd share it with ya'll too! :)

I got REALLY sick of looking at the nasty poo-tan interior in my '97 and I had some grey leather WJ seats sitting around taking up space, so I sought out some grey XJ guts and pieced it all together. Enjoy!

Before:
DSCF5127.jpg

DSCF5126.jpg

Pile of junk!
DSCF5133.jpg

in progress!
DSCF5130.jpg

DSCF5129.jpg

Call me insane, but after living without carpet for a year, I wanted it back! I found a really nasty carpet in the junkyard, but after a LOT of steam cleaning and scrubbing it came out pretty decent aside from some slight discoloration and some cigarette burns, that is. I wish I would have taken before pictures of it... it was so gross I wouldn't even put it inside the jeep to drive home- I strapped it to the roof rack! The only reason I considered doing this was because the carpet hadn't started rotting yet, and I got it WITH the cool "Jeep" logo factory rubber mats for a whopping $10 versus about $250 for the carpet alone new.

DSCF5138.jpg

DSCF5137.jpg

DSCF5136.jpg

As of now, the front seats are in but the back is not. Also, I need to get the headliner redone.

More later!!!

Wasn't there a TSB or Recall that moved this module from under the seat where it was prone to moisture invasion to under the center console?

That is the airbag control module, and yes there was a TSB to relocate it.

Wasn't there a TSB or Recall that moved this module from under the seat where it was prone to moisture invasion to under the center console?

i can tell you most likely not for pre-96,

as i work at a dealership and the only recalls that came up when i pulled up my vin in dealerconnect were the disk brakes (something about the rotors) and the brake interlock switch (keeps you from shifting out of park unless your foot is on the brake) neither of which my xj has been in for.....(i wonder if they'll still honor these)

Last edited:
There was obviously something done on the 97s (and the OP's XJ is a 97), as mine was relocated under the console before I purchased it in 02. Did XJs prior to 96 even have airbags?

Those WJ seats are not the gray you think they are. They are taupe. Which is more of a tan color.

There was obviously something done on the 97s (and the OP's XJ is a 97), as mine was relocated under the console before I purchased it in 02. Did XJs prior to 96 even have airbags?

im gonna be honest and say i didn't even know what it was, just basing my thoughts off of how i've never seen that module in a pre-96 xj, lol, that and the corresponding TSB never came up when i pulled my vin

95 and 96 have self-contained mechanical airbags in the steering wheel, none on pass. side.

i also didn't know that either, so i guess i got lucky there lol

my post was also a late post, i just figured it might be useful information to somebody that they shouldn't have to worry about that for pre-96 years

Anybody have experience on painting the interior pieces including the softer vinyl cause i have the same poop tan interior with a 2 tone black dash on the 98 i just bought?? I also wanna ditch the limited's leather powered seats for nice black cloth ones.

Hmm, I actually tried to find an XJ with the tan interior like ya'll are getting rid of. I like it.

Well ive got a full tan interior, leather, powered seats, wood grain trim, all of it in great shape, non smoker, no stains, yadda, yadda, except the drivers seats leather is a bit creased up but is 100% intact. I can take a bunch of pics if ur seriously interested & im up for a straight swap or ill sell it all cheap enough for me to get an all black or atleast charcoal gray int. Im in NY tho so not sure how far u are from me.

Back