• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent knocking sound...

Magickman

NAXJA Forum User
I apologize ahead of time for the somewhat long post, but this has got me concerned, and I want to give you all as much info as I can.

Here's the symptoms: When crawling along at low speeds, I will occasionally hear a kind of "knocking" or "ratcheting" sound. It happens in 4WD or 2WD, and it seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle, although I can't be certain. It will do it for a little while, and then go away, and it's fairly loud. The symptoms first appeared after adding longer shackles in the back (1") and a taller spacer in the front (1") although that could just be a coincidence (please see my profile for complete specs on my rig).

• It only happens at low speeds, and it doesn't appear to be related to wheel or driveshaft speed, but rather to engine RPM; although if the vehicle comes to a stand still (like on a hill while still applying gas) it goes away. Or, if I apply the brakes, it goes away even if the vehicle is still moving forward. I can literally make it turn on and off while in motion by applying and then releasing the brakes. Once I take the jeep up to road/highway speeds, it goes away and doesn't come back again for a few days or weeks.

• At first, I thought perhaps it was the front diff, so I tore it apart and inspected everything. And when I say I tore it apart, I mean completely, as I installed an Aussie locker at the same time. I couldn't see any problems with chipped or broken teeth, etc. Although one thing I did noticed, is that there is some rotational "play" at the pinion yoke, meaning that it will rotate a bit back and forth (I think this is called "backlash"?). There is no horizontal or vertical play, just the rotational play. I've done some research, and it appears that some play is normal, I'm just not sure how much play is normal. It rotates back and forth a good 1/4" or more.

• Next, I pulled the front driveshaft and checked all the U-joints. They were all tight, but I left the driveshaft off for a couple weeks to see if the sound would return, and eventually the knocking returned (and then went away).

• I drained my T-case, and the oil seemed clean and the oil level good. There were no metal shavings stuck to the drain and fill caps.

• I've checked the flexplate for cracks and the flexplate to torque converter bolts and found no problems.

The rear CV driveshaft seems tight (it's only 3 years old). I haven't pulled the rear shaft, but that may be next.

This has got me really perplexed and concerned. We go camping and canoeing in remote areas a lot, and I'm really concerned that something is going to blow up on me when we're out on the trail.

Any suggestions on where to look, or how to diagnose is greatly appreciated!

TIA,

-MM

I'm curious as to how you said you checked the flex plate. Were you able to see it clearly enough? When they crack it is where it bolts onto the crankshaft. I helped a friend that was planning an engine rebuild due to intermittent knocking becoming more constant. Until we removed the motor and realized that the flex plate was cracked in a circular direction around the bolts. It could not be seen from the inspection cover area of the transmission.

Back