• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler 3 link install

I installed it a few monts ago. Its kinda a pain in the a$$ but totally worth it. I was told by a buddy to weld the brackets to the frame because the bolts tend to lossen up after some hard wheeling. Get some one to help you. I did it on my own and it took forever.

I have the old style RK 3 link but I can say this, use center punches for the holes you drill, have nice sharp bits and use a slow right angle drill. I'd also suggest welding the brackets on, also now is the time to get frame stiffeners put on. I was in a rush to get my old lift off and my new (used) rk kit on so I didn't have time to get them, really wish I did as it would give me a much better piece of mind with them attached to something other then sheet metal...

Have fun getting ur upper control arm bushing out, expect to use a crowbar and a hammer/prybar to get them out... that plus a torch and lots of cursing. Grind edges onto the trans crossmember studs and grab it with vice grips, unless you go out and buy a stud puller thats the only way I see to get them off. I broke one of mine and ended up just putting a small weld on the crossmember to the frame, I'm probly going to have to somehow weld a new nut inside the rail when I get around to it.

so just skip drilling holes and just weld the brackets on..? or both? also about removing the crossmember studs, once their gone would the new bolts just screw right in or would some modification be needed?.

Definately both weld and bolts. I did not fully weld mine because I plan on adding stiffeners and I don't feel like spending a week grinding welds to salvage my brackets.

Your studs are threaded in so your bolts will thread in once you remove your studs.

thanks man. removing the studs was the only part that kind of tripped me up. i cant wait to get this kit on and my sliders are coming in a few days. gonna be sick!

Removing the studs has always been a bitch for me. the uca bushing wasnt too hard for me, first i burned all the rubber out, and then i took a sawzall put a cut on the inside of the sleeve and then i popped it right out.

x2 what twodoor said.... he did the welding on my kit and we had issues with both studs. One of them broke off while trying to remove it and the other I just could not get off so I just left it there and put a nut on it, its got mayb 3/4 of the nut of thread engagement so he just put a few small welds to keep the crossmember on. If/when that crossmember needs to come off I'll just grind them off quick.

If I could try taking them off again I would grind two edges onto the stud and just clamp down with some vice grips and hope that stud doesn't break.

im thinking they should pop right out since everything else on my 88 hasnt really given me trouble (knock on wood). the rear main seal did but thats another story. the grinding of the stud edges i will try. the bushing im not worried about. i was going to do the exact process TwoDoor said. sounds like it should be a simple install but we all know how that goes

When I replaced my upper bushing in the axle, I drilled the rubber around the bolt sleeve. Pushed the sleeve out and then removed what was left of the rubber. Followed by hammering the outer sleeve out. Takes about 5 mins a side.

Back