• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting a 92 4.0HO into a 96 xj sport, HELP!

EnKioferidu

NAXJA Forum User
Ok quick backgroung because I am new... I have a 1996 xj sport 4.0HO. I am planning on putting in a 1992 4.0HO into my XJ. My current (96) is shot. I found the 92 on a whim and need to know what accessories I will have to take from the 92 to make it work correctly in my 96. Also, the 92 is from an auto and would be going into a manual. I have heard all that really needs to be done is to use the flywheel off the 96? Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jimi

you area life saver, what about the ecm(?) Someone said the computer was different. Is this true? The guy I would buying it from says I just need to use my computer and my wiring harness and it will be fine. But I know selling his engine is his priority, any ideas?

This was my first post on the forum and it was answered so quickly... Thank you!

There is no good reason to swap in the 92 ECM--you'd have to rewire the whole jeep (including the dashboard) to make everything work with the old computer. Just move your current sensors, ignition parts, and fuel injectors over to the donor engine, and then everything will work with your existing computer and wiring.

The fuel return changed between 92 and 96 so you will need to swap the fuel rail.

The belt tensioner and power steering pump and bracket changed in 96. They also bolt to the intake manifold differently. If you keep the parts on the 92 you won't have to change any of it but if you want to use the parts on the 96 then you will have to swap intake and bracket and power steering pump and so forth. You could also go find a 99-01 intake manifold (curved and more volume) and swap that in with your 96 bracket and pump, which will give you the best setup. If the engines are going to be on stands for a while anyway, then that is what I would do.

I can't think of anything else off-hand. Replace the motor mounts while you're in there

motor mounts got it... so as long as I keep all the sensors and parts from the 92 it should be pretty well plug and play? (minus the flywheel issue above)

So should I use the fuel rail then from the 92? and is that all plug and play also?

Thanks for your help so far... I am liking this forum so far!

Last edited:
motor mounts got it... so as long as I keep all the sensors and parts from the 92 it should be pretty well plug and play? (minus the flywheel issue above)

So should I use the fuel rail then from the 92? and is that all plug and play also?
NO :twak: Everything that talks to the computer in your 96 MUST BE FROM THE 96 (EVERYTHING including dashboard, fuel pump in the gas tank, distributor controls, everything!). The electronic parts from the 92 cannot be used with the 96 computer. Remove the sensors, igntion parts (distributor, coil, etc), and fuel system parts (injectors and rail etc) from the 96, and put them on the 92 mechanical engine. Throw away or sell or give away the parts from the 92, you cannot use them.

lol... nice emoticon, kinda gets the point across ... so throw away the 92 stuff and put on the 96 stuff... got it...

There is no good reason to swap in the 92 ECM--you'd have to rewire the whole jeep (including the dashboard) to make everything work with the old computer. Just move your current sensors, ignition parts, and fuel injectors over to the donor engine, and then everything will work with your existing computer and wiring.

The fuel return changed between 92 and 96 so you will need to swap the fuel rail.

sorry I thought you meant I needed to SWAP to the 92 to make it work... man this has been a stressful few weeks :(

Last edited:
Back